Rat info resources

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blessedmom

Any suggestions as to good websites for rat care info? There's so much conflicting info and I want to read up about what's best for our girls.

Great question
This site has good up-to-date info ..... in particular any posts made by Jorats, Lilspaz68 among others
Some older posts have been made by extremely knowledgeable former rat owners as well
The reference section and the other sections have good info.

http://ratguide.com/ is a good site, particularly for health related info

The rat health care book is a decent resource if you ignore sections such as home euthanasia (research shows the use of CO2 gas to be inhumane and cause great suffering). Some info on her site (and in her book) is good, other info is outdated. Also standards of care are lower then the accepted min standards of care here in Canada and the accepted min standards of care among many experienced rat owners in the USA and other countries. http://www.ratfanclub.org/

Last edited:
I've learned so much from the forum I go to for my GPigs. I happened upon it when looking into a bigger cage and was blessed to find so many knowledgable people that know so much about them. Several run Guinea pig rescues or foster piggies and they know their stuff! I was shocked at how much bad info was out there. How is it that stores sell GPigs and supplies don't even stock one cage that meets the minimum suggested area for a GPig?!?! I was shocked that every known expert on animal care agreed that a cage needs to be at least 1 square meter and no store carries anything close to that! Of course I wouldn't get one from the pet store, too many need rescued, but I just couldn't believe it. And don't get me started on the crap they sell as food and treats! I want to learn about the rats now but want good info, so thank you so much!

If you have any questions, please ask
and you are absolutely right ... while you can buy some cages large enough for rats (most are way too small),
for larger animals such as gps and rabbits, you really need to build C&C cages, or let them free range in a safe area

Back