Rat has snot stuck in nose?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galethemo

Hello, I have a male rat named Bandit that is 1 year and 4 months old on April 26, 2020. For the past week, I have noticed that when he breathes, there's like a muffled sound, similar to a stopped up nose in humans. He still grooms himself multiple times a day and wipes his nose and sneezes. Sometimes the sneeze doesn't do anything, and he still has the snot in his nose. No one sick has been around him lately, so is it possible for a rat to get allergies? If this is what he has, can I give him anything that would help them, or should I just wait for them to pass? Thanks in advance.

Nasal congestion can be just that, but it can turn into a respiratory infection in time.
Try adding humidity to the air if you find it's dry. You can also try steaming him by sitting in the bathroom with the shower running (hot). It should help thin the congestion , and he should sneeze. IF he starts having serious issues while steaming get him out ASAP, as thus could be fluid buildup in his lungs

Back