Rat has hole on lower stomach/groin (+pics)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melodica256

Hi everyone,
Yesterday, I found one of my rats has a hole on his lower stomach/groin that seemingly formed overnight. The hole is about the size of a dime and leads inside him so you can see his muscles. I was hoping to get an emergency appointment for him today but no one in my area can take him and I'm worried. I'm not sure if this is an abscess or something else.
20200927_223440.jpg

He has been licking it quite a lot which I can't really stop. There is no blood around the wound or in the cage. It smells a little rotten, and looks infected (this pic is from yesterady). He's not moving around much.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

It could be an burst abscess but could be other infections too. That vet appointment is very important. If he will let you, try flushing out the cavity with isotonic saline (many recipes online but only use one with salt and water). This could flush out any pus or bacteria still inside.

Also, would an anti-inflammatory like metacam, or ibuprofen be a good idea? That looks painful. Poor baby! I hope he gets some relief soon!

Back