Rat for Adoption in the Chicago Area

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocialRats

Social Rats Adoption and Rescue has some rats up for adoptions. All of our rats that are currently either rescues as adults or babies of rescues that were pregnant when rescued.

Social Rats takes in rats that are looking to be rehomed and try to find them homes.

I am located in the Chicago area and have 18 rats up for adoption at this point. We do have some in foster care and some that have been adopted into our rescue network.

9 hairless girls 2 months old
2 furry boys, 1 agouti rex, 1 black berkshire "Shadow" and "Socks"
4 furry girls 2 months old both 2 agouti rex, 1 agouti rex with a white nose and 1 black berkshire
2 hairless girls (mothers of the hairless girls) 7 months old bonded with a black hooded 4 month old girl

This is one of our hairless girls, we have both standard ears and dumbo ears available

Lucy, she is bonded with Ricki, another hairless and Snuggles a black hooded.

This is Socks, he is one of our furried boys. The other rat you see there is Deigo, he is one of mine.

My ratties include Taffy, Apple, Sweetheart, Mac, Coco, Snowball, Snowflake, Tigger, Diamond, Deigo and Mittens. My husband has adopted Squeaky, the runt of the litter of one of our rescues.

Thanks

Welcome!
I'll sticky this thread for you so you can keep updating and makes our members and guests easier to find.
Also, do you have a website or pics, that sometimes helps.

Update:

We are down to 6 hairless girls 3 standard ears, 3 dumbos about 3 months old
We have 3 furried girls Snuggles is a black hooded 5 months old, Mouse and Brownie are both Agouti Rex with standard ears, 3 months old.

Lucy is no longer up for adoption as she has been diagnosed with limited time and is on a few meds for life.
Ricki, a 8 month old hairless girl is up for adoption to an experienced home as she is an meds for an enlarged heart, but it is not something that will shorten her life or her quality of life. She is willing to take her meds with baby food, and she onl needs it once a day.

The 6 hairless girls, Snuggles, Mouse and Brownie have all been vet cleared for adoption.

We also have a ton of babies for adoption as well. Both boys and girls. I will try to give some of the characteristics of them for you:
We have: Cream, Black, agouti, hooded, bareback, solid, berkshire, dumbos, PEWs, and some that I don't know the names of the markings as they are so unusual. I have both boys and girls available for adoption, as of May 9th and May 13th. 2 litters.

They are currently in together so the moms get adult companionship, but they are also sharing the nursing, which is wonderful to see. They are able to catch a nap alone, which those who wish to nurse go to see the one who is willing to nurse at the time. No more running from babies for quiet time. It is a beautiful sight.

Glad to see a local Adoption/Rescue. We are quite content with our 2 wonderful almost year old boys, but will keep you in mind for the future.

Update, we are now down to 4 hairless girls, 1 dumbo, 3 standard ears. Snuggles also has been adopted. We still have a lot of babies and have new rescues coming in and will be having more of our fosters coming up for adoption in the coming weeks. Mercy, one of our rescues, came inw ith 7 babies that had no human contact before 4 weeks of age and were very skitish. They are what we refer to as midget rats. They will never be the size of a normal rat, but it is not genetic, it is due to lack of good nutrition during the most important time of their life. Mercy weaned them soon after they were able to eat solid food, as nursing them was litterally killing her as all of the small amount of nutrition she was taking in was going out in breastmilk for the babies. She tried her best, but she was being fed cocketeil or parrakeet food instead of a healthy diet. At 4 weeks old, they looked to be the size of 1-2 week olds. They are now about 3 months old, both on 2/28 and are the size of healthy 6-7 week olds. They have grown ALOT since being in our network, but, unfortunately, will never truly be the size of a regular rat. They are getting more used to human contact and alot of love has gone into them. There has been contriversy (sp?) surrounding Mercy and the care she received before coming into our care, but thankfully, there has been alot of progress made with both Mercy and her 7 babies. Thus far, there have been no serious health concerns with them. All of them have had URIs due to the care they had, but are getting better and will soon be ready for a new, forever, loving home. These are rats that will need extra love and must go to homes with experienced rat owners. Someone who has had, or currently has, rats of their own. These little ones, in my own opinion, should not go to homes of first time rat owners, simply because of the health issues from the get go. They will need to be on a very healthy diet, with lots of fruits and veggies on a daily basis, high calorie or fatty treats to a minimum.

If interested, you can email me at [email protected]

Thank you,

Social Rats Adoption and Rescue

ALthough I have not updated in awhile, I do have a big one to do. We have about 40 rats up for adoption at the moment. Hairless, both boys and girls. Lucy and Ricki are our hairless dumbo girls. Both are on meds for heart conditions due to a breeder deciding to try to breed for hairless without doing her research first.

We have Lucy and Ethel, a blue hooded and an agouti hooded, about a year and a half old.

We have Wilbur and Bandit, Wilbur is a bit squishy albino, or Pink Eyed White. Bandit is a black masked. Wilbur has a history of mites, but since being treated, has not had a reoccurance. Bandit is on Enacard once a day for his heart. He can from an animal show (I did not rescue him, he was brought to me) He had such a severe URI, due to the conditions he was in, that it damaged his heart. He has not had a second URI since he came to us.

Hoodie, a black hooded, her sister Licorice, who is a black berkshire and her babies, 7 girls, black berkshire and agouti berkshire and one son, who is a black berkshire. No health issues

Chewy and Stewie, Chewey is a black hooded, Stewie is an albino, about 6 months old, no health issues

Ernie, black hooded, no health issues

Heuy, Dewey and Luey, all albinos, 6 months old, no health issues.

We have many more up for adoption as well, if interested.

Tami

[email protected]

Back