Rat food?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobthealien

Alright! I'm getting my very first pair of rats as soon as my Rat Manor arrives, which should be soon! So, I'm doing my research to prepare for the little beasts, and I know about everything I need, except for food. I've ordered my Rat Manor, and am prepping for the soon-to-be ratties! So, I went to Petco today to get hamster food, figure out the cage ordering situation, and to look at ratties. I live in a small town, so there are very limited options on food, toys, and really anything. So, I looked at the foods, and, with prior knowledge on hamster food, I know that most of it is, well, crap. So, I know Kaytee forti-diet pro health is good, but what about Kaytee Healthy Support diet? Again, very limited options. Currently, for the hamsters, I have Carefresh Complete menu with added sunflower seeds and protein supplemented with milk bone bits. Now, would Carefresh Complete menu be a good choice? Thanks!

Diet
Rats cannot eat food made for gerbil, mice etc. They are usually seed mixes, and most rats would just pick their favorite seeds, not getting everything they need to be healthy. The best foods for rats are Lab blocks. There are three to choose from:
• Oxbow Regal Rat
• World Hamster Extrusion
• Harlan Teklad 2014
Rat diets should be made out of 80% lab blocks, and 20% veggies/fruits. Though rats should not get fruits more than 3x a week due to the sugar content.

I live in a small town as well with only a Petco and PetSmart. Instead, I order my food online through Amazon and get Oxbow Regal Rat. If you're desperate I would suggest the LM Animal Farms Mouse & Rat Food that they sell at Petco. I was feeding it to my four boys before I realized there were better options. :emb: It's not what I would suggest feeding them all the time but as I said, if you're desperate it's a choice.

Also, I had the Rat Manor before I added to my family and needed a Ferret Nation. I would suggest covering most if not all the floor with fleece. My boys didn't like the bare floor and it's not always fun to clean.

I hope you enjoy them once you get them! :heart: I've had mine for six months now and I can't imagine not having rats.

amanda1472 - Whilst that 3 are the most recommended, I believe that bobthealien already stated that the choices in their area is limited, so I won't be too hard on pushing that 3. Of course, if they can find that 3, it's be best.

Personally, choices are limited for me in Singapore and I mix Oxbow Hamsters with Mazuri.

I would recommend lab blocks/ food where they are not allowed to pick out any foods, have a Crude Protein of less than 16%, low fat, no sugar and no salt for all sorts of food.

Any of the three I state can be purchased online.
And idk about the US. But here you can get it at petsmart, Global pet foods, you can ask for it to be ordered at a vet clinic, petvalu etc

The Kaytee stuff was in block form, and the other choices were, I think, Reggie Rat (not sure if it's there or not), CF complete, which I now see is not a lab block but actually a seed mix, and Kaytee Fiesta which I refuse to buy. I'm not really able to order online, so I'm going to have to look at all my options when I go in.

Yesh, PetCo really has poor choices in rat food.

PetSmart does sell Oxbow Regal Rat, as does Pet Food Express (a northern CA chain). Oxbow is the main food I feed my ratties, but I also supplement with Harlan Teklan. Still haven't found a store that sells Harlan in California yet - I have to buy that online.

Petco has crap for rat food. >.< Petsmart usually carries Oxbow, or at the very least Mazuri. Some mom n' pop feed stores can also get Oxbow for you.

I get almost all my stuff from drsfosterandsmith.com they are much cheaper than the pet stores. 20 lb bag of oxbow is cheaper than buying 20 lbs of oxbow in 3 lb bags from petsmart/petco, etc. Make sure you freeze any bedding you get for 48 hours before using so you don't get mites.

Again, I really can't do anything online. And the nearest Petsmart is about a half hour away, plus I hold a grudge with them anyway. So, I'm pretty much stuck with what Petco offers in store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rilence said:
amanda1472 - Whilst that 3 are the most recommended, I believe that bobthealien already stated that the choices in their area is limited, so I won't be too hard on pushing that 3. Of course, if they can find that 3, it's be best.

Personally, choices are limited for me in Singapore and I mix Oxbow Hamsters with Mazuri.

I would recommend lab blocks/ food where they are not allowed to pick out any foods, have a Crude Protein of less than 16%, low fat, no sugar and no salt for all sorts of food.

Oxbow and HT are easy to get in the US.

I'm sorry my recommendation didn't work for you. I understand though, my grandparents live only ten minutes away from me and can only have dial-up. I would definitely suggest what Amanda said and ask an employee at Petco or any local vet.

Back