Rat Food Alternatives

Discussion in 'Diet' started by sailor, Nov 2, 2019.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Nov 2, 2019 #1

sailor

sailor

sailor

Hello everyone! I would like to know your opinion on feeding my pet rats with either of the following brands:
    1) https://www.versele-laga.com/en/com...Syt5b1hVhjJvnNy7n484keD-V3kFYH3JY412-r3_s-JtE or
    2) Bunny Nature Hamster's Dream
    There is absolutely no one here in Greece who can get any type of pet rat food, so I'm currently making a mix for them, but I'd like to add some kind of store bought to their diet, just in case they're missing something. I'm worried about the 17% protein on the first one and the alfalfa components in the second one. Any help is welcomed!

2. Nov 4, 2019 #2

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Jorats would be a good person to ask as rat diet is an interest of hers. She has spent years reading and trying out different diets with her rats.
    Mixes are not good for rats because rats will only eat the parts they like, thus not getting complete nutrition.
    We have information on diet, nutritional needs and chronometer - a tool you can use, in the Reference Thread https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/ I hope you will check it out

As far as 17% protein goes, it is a lot but by feeding a lot of vegs etc that may have lower protein levels it will help to reduce their daily intake of protein

3. Nov 4, 2019 #3

sailor

sailor

sailor

Thank you for the additional info I will check them out ASAP! :D

4. Nov 4, 2019 #4

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Hamster foods are usually suitable for rats.

sailor likes this.