Rat Fling

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratmom

I've had rats for over 12 years now and I've been fortunate enough to not need the rat fling, but last night was that night :( It was one of my newest girls we took in must of ate someting too quickly and she was choking so bad she was gasping for air. Hubby had to do the rat fling many many times to dislodge whatever it was, but I know it saved her life. Her toes were starting to turn colors, thank goodness for my hubby. I'm so glad sassy is ok now, just still exhausted poor thing.

papercrow said:
Anyone care to share how the 'rat fling' is performed? I have never heard of it.

This is copied from Spazrats website...
http://spazrats.tripod.com/emergencies.html (near the bottom)

The Ratty Fling:
This procedure should only be used if the rat is not breathing and/or the rat is unconscious.
• Hold the upper torso of the rat, on it's side, in one hand. Make sure the head is cradled by your fingers.
• Use the other hand to hold the rat's hind end against the inside of your forearm.
• Holding the rat firmly in that position, raise it above your head. Make sure there are no obstacles in the way of your arc. Swing downward in a rapid arc. The rat's head will be facing the ground between your legs.
• Do this 3 or 4 times and then check to see if the food has been dislodged and/or the rat is breathing.

Very important that the rat is NOT breathing when you perform this procedure as a Fling when the animal is still breathing could get them to inhale the stuck item farther or lodge it in a worse location cutting off their breathing so they die. This is not to be used for simple chokes.

Debbie Ducommun's Health Care booklet has a diagram and instructions. It also says not to do it unless the rat is really in trouble. My Rhonda once got something stuck in her throat. She was able to breathe, thought, and she eventually got the food up or down. It was hard not to do something, but the Health Care booklet said that rats can usually manage OK with time.

WOW this makes me realize that if I didn't know this and one of the girls choked.... I don't know what I would have done. That's scary.

Back