rat fell :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_ratowner

so this just happened a few minutes ago. I was getting ready to go to sleep and I was putting my boy back in his cage after some time out of his cage. He was on my shoulder as he usually does when getting put back. I had my phone in one hand and he was running down my other arm and I guess he got a little too excited and jumped to his cage before I could free up my hand to open the cage door. He jumped and fell. His cage is on top of a bookcase so it was about a 4 foot drop. Neither of my boys have ever fallen from anything before so I am really freaked out.

He did seem a little stunned to be on the ground but I did scoop him up (gently) and placed him on my bed until I could set down my phone and open the cage door up before placing him back in it. I did give him a treat and he did take it and ate it (I believe). I tried to get on here and type this up as fast as I could. As of right now (1:16 AM) I hear him drinking so that is a plus. He hasn’t squeaked or shown any signs of being in pain. He is walking around and climbing and such. As stated, it is the middle of the night so I do not have access to the vet as of right now so that is not an option at the moment.

If I have left anything out or anyone has any questions I will be sure to update.

All replies are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

He should be okay! Did he squeak or groom himself when he fell? Often times rats groom parts of them that get hurt immediately after. I just had one of my rats fall aswell and she hurt her toe, I wouldn't have noticed but I caught her licking it immediately after. I think if your rat is acting the same, you should be okay. Keep an eye out for strange movements or a change in eating and drinking!

He should be okay! Did he squeak or groom himself when he fell? Often times rats groom parts of them that get hurt immediately after. I just had one of my rats fall aswell and she hurt her toe, I wouldn't have noticed but I caught her licking it immediately after. I think if your rat is acting the same, you should be okay. Keep an eye out for strange movements or a change in eating and drinking!

Thank you for your reply.

No, he did not squeak or groom himself. He kind of was stunned when he was on the floor then when I put him on my bed, he was just trying to find me. It just seems like quite a high drop to fall from.

keep a close eye on him and if you notice any changes in behaviour, signs of pain, difference in eating etc he may need to see a vet asap

Do keep a close eye on him, but rats are surprisingly... bouncy? And they're light. What seems like a high fall to a human isn't necessarily the same for a rat. As long as he doesn't seem disoriented (beyond being briefly stunned), is eating/drinking normally, and not showing any abnormalities in behaviour/movement; he's a-okay.

Even if he has an injury, it will hopefully (and likely) be something minor that can be treated with low does pain meds (infant ibuprofen, calculated to their weight, is best); but unless he is showing grimacing or obvious pain signs, I wouldn't bother medicating him.

As SQ said, any changes in behaviour, patterns, movement, eating/drinking, definitely take him to a vet.

Back