Rat Fell: should I worry?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Alexys Morgan

Hey everyone! My sweet Mika(a 1.5 year old male) just took a fall out of his cage because he got a little too excited about having carrots for a snack. He landed on his side and then got up and acted completely normal. He ate, climbed and interacted with his cage mates like normal. It was a good size fall and made a good thud. He shows no signs of pain. I felt all over for fractures and felt none. He acts 100% normal. Should I be worried?

I'd say don't worry to much about it as rats are quite resilient. Just keep an eye on him and if you see a change you can always call a vet and ask them what they think

Rats can be pretty hardy when it comes to falling. One of my boys are terrible about it (has literally flopped straight out of the cage onto the floor before 🤦🏼‍♀️), so I always extra closely watch him whenever he’s climbing the cage or just near the edge lmao. Checked his body and teeth after that and everything was fine.
If he’s acting normal and doesn’t appear injured, I’d just keep an eye on him and see how he goes! From the sounds of it, he’s likely completely fine, though I can relate to your concern.

Back