Rat Facts?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cityratt

Hey Guys,
Im doing a presentation on rat care tomorrow at the SPCA's BARC camp....I wanted to give the kids a "Rat Chat" Rat facts sheet that we could go over during my presentation....

Does anyone know any cool rat facts? Can be about domestic or wild rats....

I know there was something about a rat being able to squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter....

Thanks in Advance guys!

The jaws of a rat can exert pressures of 24,000 lbs. Rats can readily chew through plastic water pipes, irrigation systems and garbage cans, wood boxes, dry wall, and even cinder block.

I am reading a book right now called 'The Great Mortality'. It is a non fiction book about the Black Death in Europe during the 14th century which includes all these really cool first hand accounts from those who recorded what was happening up to, and during, the plague (I know, I know, I am really into all that creepy stuff).
Anyway...it mentions that the people who have studied the history of the bubonic plague have a well substantiated theory that rats coming in on vessels like ships were not really the cause of the spread of the plague, and the subsequent deaths of millions, as was originally thought. They even go so far as to say that the plague could never have been spread to that extent by rats.
Although sometimes the fleas that are on rats can cause the plague (as well as any other animal who can carry fleas), up until then bubonic plague outbreaks were very isolated and contained within cities but rarely went beyond a community. But because of new trade routes opening up throughout Europe during that time, it was actually people who were responsible for making it as widespread a pandemic as it turned out to be.
There were many written accounts of dying tradesmen arriving in towns on horseback and on foot, and these accounts follow the black death throughout each of the countries that ended up being devastated, and of men leaving to other cities who were already sickly or became sickly en route. Maybe a small portion of the infected fleas were carried to some of the countries on rats in the holds of ships and whatnot, but it looks as though people who were already infected with the plague, and who were moving from trade centre to trade centre, were actually the vessels primarily responsible for spreading it.
Take that rat blamers!

April 4th is World Rat Day

According to the Chinese horoscope, 2008 is the Year of the Rat.

Rats are extremely clean pets and are among the most intelligent and curious.

Ancient Romans considered the rat good luck, and in China the rat is considered a sign of prosperity.

Rats, with their long tail, have a very acute sense of balance; therefore, they are excellent climbers.

Pet rats live an average of two to three years.

Male rats are known as bucks, females are does, and babies are pups or kittens.

Rats are very social animals and do best when kept with other rat companions (same sex unless spayed or neutered to avoid accidental litters).

The general rule is that male rats are larger with a coarser coat and more laid-back disposition, than females. Females are typically smaller and more active and playful.

Pet rats, or fancy rats, have an interesting history. Many breeders believe that rats were first widely domesticated by the rat-catchers of the 19th Century. It is believed these people, who were paid by town governments to trap rats, started breeding rats to keep themselves in business, only then discovering how intelligent and loyal these pets could be.

Though generally nocturnal, most rats are crepuscular, which means they are most active for a few hours around dusk and dawn, dividing the rest of the day between hours of lesser activity and sleeping.

Rats have starred or appeared in over 400 films and close to one hundred television series.

Rats can’t vomit (but they can fart!)

Rats can mate as young as 5 weeks old. Always keep males and females separated if you don’t want to deal with an accidental litter. It only takes a few seconds and they can even mate through cage bars. A female rat can get pregnant again only 24 hours after giving birth
Spaying reduces the chances of mammary tumors drastically; neutering males can help with behavior issues.

Females go into heat about every 4 to 5 days. They “hump” each other and you might see their whole bodies vibrate. Sometimes they even leap like frogs. It’s a very funny sight! In some rats it’s more obvious than in others.

Rats grind their teeth (also called bruxing) when they are content but can also be a sign of stress and discontent. When you see your rat’s whole head vibrating and their eye balls moving in and out it’s called boggling.

Don’t be surprised if your rat starts grooming and licking you. They might check your nose, ears, hair and teeth. My girls check my mouth and teeth daily. They are so-called “Rodentists”. You are part of the rattie pack!

Never ever pick up a rat by its tail. It is very uncomfortable for the rat and parts of the tail can actually come off (“deglove”).

Rats use ultrasound as a form of communication. Ultrasonic sound is a frequency too high to be heard by the human ear.

Many People think that rats are dumb, dirty and vicious animals and that they carry lots of diseases, but the facts tell a different story.
Pet rats are smart, loving and curious.

The Rat is the first symbol of the Chinese Zodiac - A symbol of cunning and prosperity.

The ancient Mayan civilization used to worship the Rat, as did the ancient Egyptians, and Ancient Romans considered the rat good luck.

In India a Hindu temple was constructed as a tribute to the rat goddess Karni Mata and is home to 20,000 rats.

Rats re very clean. They spend hours every day carefully grooming themselves and each other

Rats take care of the injured and sick in their groups

Wild rat teeth are strong enough to nibble through wood, lead piping, brick, concrete, and metal

Wild rats can swim for 3 days

A rat could survive a fall off of a five story building

Rats survived on Eniwetok Atoll where the US tested atomic weapons for years and were unaffected by the radiation

A 2007 University of Georgia study is the first that shows rats a non-primate species has metacognition, meaning the rat knows when it doesn't know something, pretty smart

A 2007 University of Berne study is the first evidence for general reciprocal cooperation in non-humans. The rats would help other rats they didn’t know. Perhaps they could give us a lesson

Gambian rats have been trained to sniff out land mines

Wild rats can taste poison in food as low as 1 part per million

Wild rats will sample a new food and save the rest for later. If the rat gets sick it will avoid the food. That’s why poisons don’t work

Rats, with their long tail, have a very acute sense of balance. Therefore, they are excellent climbers. Rat tails also are also used for temperature regulation and communication

Rats have glands on the bottom of their feet, they leave a wet scent trail wherever they walk, and use it to get back home

Rats have been sent into space aboard American, Chinese and Russian spacecraft

Rats have starred or appeared in over 400 films and close to one hundred television series

Wild rats can survive being flushed down a toilet (depending on the toilet...and the rat of course)!

Pet rats live an average of 2 to 3 years; wild rats about 1 year

Male rats are known as bucks, females are does, and babies are pups or kittens. A group/pack/herd of rats is called a Mischief

Though generally nocturnal, most rats are crepuscular, which means they are most active for a few hours around dusk and dawn, dividing the rest of the day between hours of lesser activity and sleeping

Wild rats DO NOT carry the plague. When rats catch the plague, they die from it. The plague is transmitted from animal to animal by fleas. Today, the plague is treatable with antibiotics

Wild rats almost never carry rabies, and there has never been a case of human rabies caused by rat bite in the United States. In 2006 18,000 people were treated for rabies, none from rats

Wild rats may carry a number of different diseases and parasites but transmission to humans is rare and most are easily treated

According to the CDC Rat bites are estimated at 4000 per year in the US with dog bites reported at 4.6 million. Rat bites accounted for 200+ emergency room visits, most considered minor. Dog bites result in an average of 17 human deaths, 6,000 hospitalizations, and 330,000 emergency room visits each year. In a three year study of animal attacks in Philadelphia a total of 6,293 animal bites were reported. Of these cases, 5,390 were dog related, 633 involved cats; 39 were rats; 35 were squirrels; 3 were raccoons; and a total of 193 involving ferrets, gerbils, groundhogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, horses, humans, mice, opossums, rabbits, skunks, snakes, and others

wonderrodent said:
A 2007 University of Georgia study is the first that shows rats a non-primate species has metacognition, meaning the rat knows when it doesn't know something, pretty smart
None of my guys are fessing up to not knowing anything. They say you are fibbing, and they claim to be 'all knowing'. :wink2:
wonderrodent said:
Wild rats DO NOT carry the plague. When rats catch the plague, they die from it. The plague is transmitted from animal to animal by fleas. Today, the plague is treatable with antibiotics
Only about 15 years ago a teacher in Texas died of Bubonic plague from fleas that had come in on her dog. It is tough to diagnose conditions that are so uncommon, so many people don't get treatment in time. If not started immediately on the correct antibiotics, death rates go from 1-15% up to 60-100%. You need to be treated for it right away and most doctors today are just not familiar enough with the symptoms to properly diagnose it. More recent than the death in Texas, a huge wilderness park in Colorado had to be evacuated and closed because they found squirrels who were carrying Bubonic plague fleas.
The most deadly of the three types of plague is actually Septicaemic plague which affects the blood. That one can kill you within hours, whereas Bubonic (lymph nodes) and Pneumonic (lungs) usually takes a few days.
Unfortunately, like many bacteria, I have read that there is a strain of the Bubonic plague that has become resistant to treatment. Just what we need.

Thanks for all your responses guys! I made a "Rat Chat" sheet with most of them on it for the kids to get after the presentation (along wtih some important facts like needing a buddy etc).

My friend said that the kids have been quieter for my presentation than they have been the past two days :)

All the kids got to hold/pet Goose and Dewey - hopefully they were good ambasators for the species!

It sounds like it went great! :D Go Goose and Dewey!

I got freaked out a few hours ago, lol. A car set off the "doorbell" we have at the gate (it goes off when something metal goes through) and all I could think was, "How in heck did she know which farm is ours??" It was my great aunt. ;)

LMAO Bron that would have been Priceless :)

I'll be in the Odot tomorrow too....the boys are getting neutered ... soo....

Back