Rat Dads

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratlover2013

For those of us who are lucky enough to have rat daddys in our lives, let's brag about them :D

My hubby to be is so wonderful with my babies, he will help clean cages, spoil them with treats & new toys & he loves to play with them. He even helps medicate them when they are sick and he even sheds tears when we have to help them cross (he always has to be with them when they cross) :hearts:

& feel free to share a picture of them with a ratty =)

Here is a old picture myself and my hubby to be with Bug (RIP) - I have blonde hair now =)

I just love ratty daddy's. I too have a wonderful ratty dad :).

6ezu8a5a.jpg

My boyfriend won't feed them, water them or clean their cages... But he will cuddle with them all the time, help me bathe them, baby them when they are sick and help me medicate them. And every night he asks if we can take out out to sleep with us :heart:. He loves them to bits, just not the dirty work. Since I brought them into our lives he says they are his favourite pet! And most importantly, he gives them a finger when he walks by the cages and they all come up to bars wishing for a finger to be stuck through to lick.

Hey, what a great idea Ratlover! A new thread to celebrate our Rat Daddies! Hopefully xcat can convince her honey to get a photo taken so she can show him off too. :D

I will find some nice photos of my hubby with our babies to post soon. Great thread idea Ratlover! I could read about other people's hubbies and boyfriends who love their fur kids all day!

Aww this is perfect :heart:
My boyfriend Lane and I have been friends for a really long time. He was actually the person I begged to take me to get my fur-babies Ripley & Deacon. We hang out with my sisters a lot so the running joke was that the only he reason he liked them was because he was finally NOT the only guy :roll:
I never realized how much Lane loved our boys until Ripley got sick with an URI.
He cuddled with Ripley in his hoodie against his chest all the way to the vets that night because the heater in his truck was broken. He pestered the doctors over medications, wanted to know of any side effects, pestered the technicians about follow-up appointments and any signs to look out for (I was holding Deacon whom we brought to make sure he wasn't sick too). He helped me give the medicine, kept Ripley close by all night, fussed over the boys even after they were both healthy again.

Fast forward to about 3 hours ago, he decided it would be a "great idea" to pack the boys with him to go get groceries for dinner :wallbang: He brought home more goodies for the rats then he did food for dinner :emb:

He was just cuddled up with my little sister, a rat in each lap, watching Rattatouie. :cuddle:

It's ironic, he started out telling me "only the two boys" and now he's the one constantly showing me adorable pictures of rescue rats. He wants to get two girls (spayed of course) from a rescue now. I told him when he starts sewing liners and hammocks and cleaning some cages, we can start THINKING about it.

Lane and my little sister (his partner in crime) are now messing with my sewing machine. :thud: I've only had to re-thread the needle and bobbin half a dozen times. :emb:

Now that I think about it, I better go make sure he hasn't run over his fingers with it. It only took him half an hour to figure out that the foot pad has to be plugged into the wall AND the side of the sewing machine. :laugh4: :heart:

Oh my gosh, I practically teared up reading about how Lane was with Ripley when he was sick...major heart thuds going on here....what a man!! So wonderful to read that!! Please tell Lane that your Rat Shack friend Vladina says he ROCKS! That is just a heart melter. Lane is a keeper! Your fur kids are very lucky indeed to have him. :heart: Now we need a photo of Lane, the Famous Rat Dad!

And he was watching Ratatouille no less! (my hubby and I ADORE that movie, of course) :thumbup:

:) Rat dads are the best! I'm lucky he's so sweet.
So, any secrets on how you got your hubby to help clean cages?? lol seems to be the only thing he won't do. I can't blame him to much though, he works.

Ha! Thanks Vladina :hugs: He seen, I packed the laptop all the way in there to show him. Now he's blushing uncontrollably :laugh4: He's probably going to print out your comment and frame it for the living room lol
I'll definitely try to find a picture of him and my boys :)
Ahh Rattatouie, best movie ever :D
We're very lucky to have him :) The Famous Rat Dad.

My boyfriend burnt them dvd's of Ratatouille, The Rescuers, Great Mouse Detective, Stuart Little and American Tail when we had to go away for 4 days and leave them home. We had the VHS copies of all those but he said "they deserve better quality than that!". He set up the TV in front of the cage, turned the brightness down and the volume down so it didn't bother them and put the dvd's on to play :) He gave instructions to our friend to turn on treehouse channel when they got bored of the movies. He gave everyone a piece of popcorn to enjoy the show and we left. Later the friend texted me saying "...how do I know when they are bored of the movies? :S" :laugh4:

Well, Marc and I sort of split the house cleaning in a way...the boys have a "day village" that is permanently set up on our dining room table, with blankets, hidey boxes, toys, etc, and they LOVE spending most of their time there...they have a water dish, some lab blocks and a potty litter tray set up there too, but it does get stinky after a day or two, so Marc is in charge of completely cleaning the village for them, about every day or so, and I take care of their home base/ratty condo.

I tend to do their ratty laundry myself and fold it, but he is good about asking what he can do to help. Just part of the parenting chores. I wish I could give you a magic answer on how to get Lane to help with that. Maybe if you remind him that things like cleaning and changing water, etc, are part of making sure his kids are happy and in clean surroundings, and I know he wants a comfy life for the fur kids, yeah?

Aww, 109, that is so sweet!! That is the first time I have heard of someone thinking to put on DVDs of fun things for the ratties! How cool is that? Brilliant!

Simplicity, by the way, the rat on your avatar photo is adorable! What a sweetheart! Is that one of your current babies? What is his/her name? What a beautiful, sweet photo!!

Okay, I found some photos of Marc with our boys for the Rat Dad thread. :D

I have already bragged endless times about what an amazing father Marc is to our boys, so I will not go on and on about it here or I could write a book! Needless to say, he is the most gentle, sweet and caring dad ever and he would do anything for our boys. Marc is simply wonderful with them and they have him wrapped around their little fingers! Whatever babies want, babies get, according to Marc. :nod: As much as I fret or worry over any small thing with them, Marc is just as bad if not worse!

( I think almost all of these photos are from when the boys were much younger and smaller!)

This first picture is probably the second day we had the boys, when they were about 7 weeks old. Look how tiny Achilles looks!

Marc with Maximus on his shoulder. Maxie is dad's little buddy too! He adores Marc just as much as Achilles does. Excuse Marc's beard stubble! He is Sicilian/Italian and it grows back the second he finishes shaving, ha ha.

Marc chilling on the couch, having quiet time with Achilles. Achilles can lay like that with Dad forever...he loves it. :cuddle:

And...one last photo. This is how Marc normally looks when he has one of our boys...snuggling his face down into ratty fur and giving nuzzles and kisses. :heart: Hope you enjoyed the photos!

That is awesome that he burnt the videos for your guys' rats!! We just have a movie night and watch a bunch of rat movies with them, but that is really awesome about the videos :wink2: To funny!
Oh my gosh you guys!! :shock: Miracle happened!! Lane cleaned the rat play area while I washed dishes!! First time ever. He finally gave up on the sewing machine when he tried to make a like a hidey pouch, he sewed all the corners shut on accident so now he says "He MEANT to make a pillow for them" :giggle: Good save there lol
Yeah, I wish I had a miracle answer to get him to help clean but he makes up for it by putting up with the hectic house and my siblings :mrgreen: It has been a long day so when he cleaned up the rat play pen before putting them back in their cage, I pretty much wanted to bake him a cake and throw glitter at him, it was THAT awesome haha!
Vladina, that's one of my current boys, Ripley. He's the one that got sick and Lane babied back to health :cuddle: That was taken a few days after we got him. He was so tired :) Deacon is sitting in the very bottom of my hood. They are basically brothers, they came from the same person and have been kept together since they were 4 weeks old (I think, don't quote me though. It was when they were old enough for the genders to be separated). Deacon is a week and a half older then Ripley. Thank you so much :hugs: I will definetly pass on the compliments to the boys.
Awww such sweet photos!! I love it, that's great!! :heart: Those are the moments I love, those picture perfect shots :cuddle:

Oh hooray for Lane! Way to go! He cleaned! I would be so proud of him too. A cake and some glitter throwing would be appropriate. :D Positive reinforcement for trying to help out, right?

That is so cute about him turning the hammock into a...pillow, yes, he meant to make a pillow! Good save, for sure. :giggle:

Aww, that photo is Ripley! Well he is just so precious looking in that picture...those sweet little ears and that soft face. I want to smooch him when I see that!

Haha yeah that's Ripley. Both Him and Deacon have giant fuzzy dumbo ears and they had the softest little fur when they were babies :heart:
Lane has almost ran through all my fabric now lol I showed him a pattern, pinned it all together for him and he's been trying to sew ever since. It's adorable, he's so focused. One of his friends stopped by to return a few movies and seen Lane "in the zone" and was like "Next thing you know, he'll be baking cakes and wearing a pink apron" and I said "That's the plan, yeah." and Lane pulls out his little finished project, all proud of himself "HEY!! REAL MEN SEW!!"
:laugh4: I can't stop laughing lol
He's dead set on getting more rats, I didn't actually think he would sew and start cleaning but he really is wanting them.
So far, my boys now have 3 "pillows", 2 "blankies" and a finished hammock. He's more into the cardboard castles anyways lol
I just noticed you're from Washington too!! Do you have any snow yet?? It's 34 degrees outside but mostly just frost and ice.

Absolutely, real men sew! Right on Lane! He SHOULD be proud!

I love it when guys don't feel the need to do the fake macho stuff to show how "manly" they are. I have the ultimate respect for men who show their kind side and are totally cool about stuff like cooking and sewing and doing sweet things for little critters. It is the ultimate cool thing. So go Lane!

Nope, no snow here yet, but it is plenty darn cold!

Oh my gosh, dumbo ears just melt me...no wonder Ripley looked so sweet in that photo..he has the adorable low dumbo ears! :heart:

Aww I know right, and his little paw in that photo is what makes my heart melt :heart:

Yeah, Lane's not afraid to wear a pink cape and hold a sparkly fairy wand and hat and march around the neighborhood with my little sister (she was to afraid to go as a lone fairy on Halloween). No shame. It's great because she loves him even more for letting her make him her "dress up doll" and it's hilarious for me because at 6' 3 and 180 lbs, he makes the best fairy princess. Most guys my age refuse to even think about playing dress up but he doesn't care. Whatever makes her smile. My little sister is really really shy and she doesn't like talking to a lot of people but Lane, oh my gosh those two are like best friends. She's his little goofy clone and it's great to see her open up a little more to people. She definitely talks and smiles more even to kids her own age now. He likes to see everybody smile and joke.
He's definitely my mr.man. Rocking the fairy get up with my little sister lol.
He once brought home two tiny kittens someone dumped off at his work. He's got a big heart, I couldn't ask for anything better.
Puts up with my family, our pets, his work, and me. Should give him so gold stars :thumbup:
His birthday is coming up in a little less then two weeks and I've been trying to think of what I could possibly give him as a surprise that he wouldn't know about. He has found a way to crash every surprise I have ever tried to give him before lol Been googling all night while he's sleeping so he won't know. :giggle:

Aww, that is so awesome having someone like that. He deserves a really nice birthday present/surprise for sure! Hold on to him...he is a keeper! :joy: My husband agrees...I told him about Lane dressing up like a princess on Halloween with your sis and Marc said, "Right on man!" :D

Oh my gosh, I was so focused on Ripley's sweet face in that photo that I did not even see his sweet little hand! Heart melter!! :hugs:

Back