Rat blocks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't alter my rats' staple diet no matter what age they are. Everyone gets Harlan 2014, and then gets supplemented as needed. I don't add any extras to my young rats' diets - other than daily veggies of course. I read somewhere that once a rat is weaned from mom (ie. 5 weeks old) their protein requirement drops drastically to the same requirement as an adult.

I agree with Chelle, the HT 2014 would be fine for them now and forever ..I don't suggest using HT2018 when fully grown due to the higher protein ..If I were you, I'd change my order to HT2014

086.jpg

I can try to get more if you need it, this was last week.

Regarding the age, you should make a thread with some pictures and ask others opinions! ..I don't lke Hijacking thread haha ..but as for the food, call or email the place you ordered it from and ask if you could change it to HT2014 (it should not be sent yet)

Ok I will!
And as for the block's, I e-mailed the place asking if I could switch my order...I ordered them this morning from Flower Town Chinchilla.

So I got my order of 2014 block's today, I was gonna store it in the rat room...but I remembered that people on here were saying that I could freeze it.
Since I have quite a bit of the other bag left...

So when you say freezing it, do you mean...ordinary fridge freezer, like it will become ice?
And how would I do to thaw it when the time come's?

Either freezer will work (fridge or chest freezer) but fridge freezer will not hold freshness as long. I would say 3-ish months in a fridge freezer, 6 months in a deep freezer?

And it doesn't become ice, there is little to no moisture in the blocks. They just get really cold haha

opened blocks go stale after 3 months.
If frozen. they are good for a year.
When freezing I repackage them into ziploc freezer bags and then thaw them as needed.
The milling date is on the bag.
Blocks are good, unopened, until 6 months after the milling date.

SQ said:
When freezing I repackage them into ziploc freezer bags and then thaw them as needed.

What do you mean "opened" blocks?

I am getting a 10 pound bag soon and I have 2 adult rats. Should I store all of it in the freezer when I get it? Does it affect the taste or quality of it? I realize it makes it last longer but you know how freezing food can change it (like the texture)?

I read somewhere that you're supposed to freeze it for 48 hours when you get it in case there are bugs in it.

I was thinking of freezing it and then keeping one bag in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

dan2333 said:
I read somewhere that you're supposed to freeze it for 48 hours when you get it in case there are bugs in it.

You have to freeze bedding in case of parasites, not food. If you suspect there are parasites in your food, you should probably not feed it.

dan2333 said:
SQ said:

What do you mean "opened" blocks?

I am getting a 10 pound bag soon and I have 2 adult rats. Should I store all of it in the freezer when I get it? Does it affect the taste or quality of it? I realize it makes it last longer but you know how freezing food can change it (like the texture)?

I was thinking of freezing it and then keeping one bag in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

She means opened bag of blocks.
You could separate your 10lbs bag into two and freeze only half.
All my blocks get frozen because I buy them in bulk, the rats don't seem to mind it at all.

Hey!

I have 2 questions!

The rescue recommends that I feed the girls Innova Senior Dog food and gave be a free bag. But before I got them I bought Mazuri (which was all I could find at petsmart)
Should I stick with the Dog food, feed them Mazuri, or find something else?

And even though they don't eat all their dog food in one day should I dump it out and give them fresh or wait till it's all gone? I think I would waste a lot of food if I dumped it everyday.

Thanks! :D

The Mazuri you get at Petsmart is really high in protein, so it's not much better than the dog food. If I were you I would go to Walmart and get 8in1 or call around to see if somewhere in town sells Oxbow. Instead of wasting the food, you can donate it back to the rat rescue or a local shelter if they want it.

GMOs have been found to cause cancer and all sorts of health problems.
Foods that are GMO have also been found to have less nutrition.

I am concerned re lab block ,,, anyone know if Harlan Tech blocks and Oxbow Regal Rat blocks are made with non GMO ingredients?
Wish there were organic :(
Wondering if we will soon all need to start making homemade diets :sad3:

:( I understand how you feel sometimes, I did read that GMO corn does give rise to cancer.

Its so difficult to get rats to eat evenly from a mix though, maybe its time we.. learned how to make lab blocks? :p

Back