Rat blocks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leily! said:
How bad is it if you feed Prolab/Labdiet?
Will it result in obese rats? Or sickly ones?
Im trying to get people to bring HT in to Singapore.
Hope there's at least one company that's willing.

Labdiet is high in protein but if you supplement with veggies, this will lower the protein per day.
Otherwise, it's not a bad block if that's all you have available to you.

jorats said:
leily! said:
How bad is it if you feed Prolab/Labdiet?
Will it result in obese rats? Or sickly ones?
Im trying to get people to bring HT in to Singapore.
Hope there's at least one company that's willing.

Labdiet is high in protein but if you supplement with veggies, this will lower the protein per day.
Otherwise, it's not a bad block if that's all you have available to you.

Oh, okay.
Well, there is news of another shop selling blocks.
But i dunno what brand/kind.

But the Prolab available here is so expensive.
SGD$15.50 for 4lbs.

I paid less than that for my HT.
But no one is bringing in HT, so unfair.
Lol.

There was an earlier post about the blocks now being made by carefresh (I think on the second page?) Does anyone use these? They seem a little high in protein to me but I'm just wondering what everyone else's take on them was.

KaraY said:
There was an earlier post about the blocks now being made by carefresh (I think on the second page?) Does anyone use these? They seem a little high in protein to me but I'm just wondering what everyone else's take on them was.

Not sure if you are asking for yourself or in general but if they are for your ratties I would highly reccomend making a trip to the University of Guelph to get some Harlan. :thumbup:

Bah. I'm heading back to Ottawa (for long term) soon so Guelph will no longer be a viable option. I think I'll just get Oxbow when I order my cage, I don't want to risk it with potentially less healthy rat foods.

I hate bringing up old topics, but I figure this is the best thread to put this in.

So a few months back I invested in a bag of Harlan 2018. A 40 pound bag. Much to my surprise, when I found out the shipping costs were 20 dollars. I've had the bag for a while now and just got to thinking. What is the shelf life of these particular lab blocks? I can't find one on the Harlan website, maybe I'm just not looking in the right area.

Now I keep the bag in the freezer, and every couple of a weeks make a mix (it's a variation on suebee's, with help from a friend who's been a rat owner for 20 years as well as the interwebs.) Which also stays in the freezer until I run out of the bag I have with my rats.

I know that's a lot of unnecessary information, but heck, everything counts.

Also, I was wondering, if anyone knew of a place where I could buy the Harlan tekland in smaller bags, say 20 or preferably 10 pound bags?

Also, also, my rats are both over a year old, should I be investing in a block with less protein now?

Any feedback will help :)

Thanks! Well it seems I'm going to have to be throwing away the bag here within the next month or so.

Those are great websites, thanks Jo!

I'm just trying to ensure that I got the correct Oxbow (regal rat) block..are the blocks normally heart shaped? I don't have experience with this particular brand but from what I understand of a rat's dietary needs, it's the best locally availible block.

I'm trying out Regal Rat for my boys, now. They're currently eating Extrusion... Should I be switching them over slowly? It says on the label to, but I've never heard of that before so I thought I'd ask.

KaraY said:
I'm just trying to ensure that I got the correct Oxbow (regal rat) block..are the blocks normally heart shaped? I don't have experience with this particular brand but from what I understand of a rat's dietary needs, it's the best locally availible block.

Yup they are heart shaped :heart: I saw some i think at the mall in Gloucester but it was something along the lines of $14.99 for like 3lbs :gaah: my girls would eat that all up in a day :giggle: I buy from ritchie feed and seed Mazuri breeder F6 food 50lbs for $40.

I did get to try out Oxbow as one of the rescues came with that food and half my gang did not like it always.

i live in the uk and decent rat food is hard to come by. its mainly seed mix.
ive found a pets at home nearby that sells the rat nuggets. how highly do you reccomend these? and will they be ok as a base of their diet?

learning so much from this site

xxx

I am curretnly feeding Martins, but it's high protein (20%) and I just found out that we have Oxbow here in one of our pet stores. SO I am going to pick that up this evening and give it a try. Should I start with mixing the matrins and Oxbow or go straight to the oxbow?

Ratty Momma said:
I am curretnly feeding Martins, but it's high protein (20%) and I just found out that we have Oxbow here in one of our pet stores. SO I am going to pick that up this evening and give it a try. Should I start with mixing the matrins and Oxbow or go straight to the oxbow?

Mix it at first, but your rats might pick through and find the Martins food that they're used to. So make sure you wait to re-fill the dish until they've at least tried their Oxbow (no dessert until you finish your dinner! :giggle:)

xxchelle said:
Ratty Momma said:

Mix it at first, but your rats might pick through and find the Martins food that they're used to. So make sure you wait to re-fill the dish until they've at least tried their Oxbow (no dessert until you finish your dinner! :giggle:)

Half and Half or ?

Ratty Momma said:
xxchelle said:
[quote="Ratty Momma":99tp2esd]I am curretnly feeding Martins, but it's high protein (20%) and I just found out that we have Oxbow here in one of our pet stores. SO I am going to pick that up this evening and give it a try. Should I start with mixing the matrins and Oxbow or go straight to the oxbow?

Half and Half or ?[/quote:99tp2esd]

That's what I would do. Handful of each.

windmill-831 said:
i live in the uk and decent rat food is hard to come by. its mainly seed mix.
ive found a pets at home nearby that sells the rat nuggets. how highly do you reccomend these? and will they be ok as a base of their diet?

learning so much from this site

xxx

If I remember correctly, I believe Ryelle had give the thumbs up for this nugget. The thing with rats food is that it is packed with nutrients and contains the daily recommended dosage as well.

I am hoping to get the chance to do a study on the nutritional requirements of rats properly next year, but yeah, P@H nuggets are good. I started using Burgess Royal Rat because getting to a P@H to buy rat food is stupid, and the delivery prices if you buy online just aren't worth it

Rat & Mouse PRO
Versele-Laga

Product Description:
Rat & Mouse Pro is a professional feed that prevents selective feeding behaviour for rats, mice and hamsters. The specially formed pellets, with a delicious taste and rich in proteins, ensure excellent digestion and optimal dental health. Moreover they contain Florastimul for healthy instestinal flora, essential oils for good resistance and yucca-extract that greatly reduces unpleasant smells.

Categories of Ingredients:
Cereals, vegetable protein extracts, derivates of vegetable origin, herbs, seeds, minerals, FOS, yucca-extract.

Contents:
20,0% crude protein
4,0% crude fat
5,5% crude fibre
6,5% crude ash
1,1% calcio
0,8% phosphor

Additives:
22.000 I.E. Vit A
2.200 I.E. Vit D3
100 mg/Mr Vit E
8 mg/Mr Copper-Cupric (II) sulfate

*This is the only brand of rat blocks i could ever find in Portugal. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of a lot better brands out there, but maybe this info can come in handy for someone in the same situation. I'd love your opinion about this brand composition too, even though i don't have any other choice, it's good to know what we're feeding to our rats!... :nod:

Back