Rat biting his tail off.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic xx

I didn't notice until a few minutes ago, but Elk is biting his tail off. I did notice that his tail was a grimy color, but I just assumed it was from him not cleaning himself. Elk is about three years old now, so he's an old man. My dad called the vet and we're taking him in later today. I'm just wondering if he's in pain, it looks like he's chewing off the dead part of the tail and he doesn't look like he's in pain but I never know. Does anyone have experience with tail rot? If so, what did the vet give you for it? I'm really worried and I do not want him to be in pain at all. I just feel like a bad mom for not noticing it until now.

I've never had this experience, but it is a very good thing you're taking him to a vet today. If the tail is gangrenous the infection could kill him. Amazing how animals know what to do in this kind of situation. The dead part of his tail would not have any feelings, but there is no way to know whether he is in pain elsewhere. I hope you don't give yourself a hard time for not realizing the problem. I think it must be pretty rare when there is no injury, so it's not the kind of thing a person would be on the lookout for.

Keep us posted! Hope he is OK.

He must of have caught his tail and now a week or so later is rotting away. He'll continue to chew at it until it's off but I do think he's in some pain. Your vet should be able to help and give him pain meds too.

I would hope that your vet would be able to amputate as much of the tail as necessary and give him meds for pain as well as anitbiotics.

Glad you mentioned the health problem, at first I thought he must have a neurlogical problem that was causing him to eat his tail.

Ekk, that is strange. I know my friends rat got out of her cage and as the were trying to catch her, she got her tail caught in a power bar between the plug and power bar and she just whipped around and bit her tail right off. I saw the whole thing and it scared the hell outta me, but she was fine and it healed great. The vet just cleaned it off and let it heal.

Hopefully everything turns out okay!

wow, xenrielle... i would have been scared too.

...and it is kinda funny how they know what to do, but i would think he would have to be in some sort of pain. hopefully the vet gave him some pain meds and amputated/cleaned off the rest like SQ said...

update us on how everything is giong once you get a chance.

Back