Rat Barbaring His Own Hands/Arms?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoknew

I just realised tonight when i peeked in on my boys that Dexter (my himi) was chewing his hands/arms. I took him out and looked at him (he doesnt really like being held, so this was quite the feat) and he's bald! He's been chewing his fur off.
Why would a rat do this? Is he bored or frustrated? His brother doesnt seem to have a problem with it.
Please help.

There's nothing you can do about it really. It can be due to boredom or stress. I had a few who did this. My Anna Banana did for a while when I was doing intros.

OUr Griffin barbers his arms too I dunno why. Hes never had prophrine to say hes stressed and he cant be bored cause they are out all the time lol I think its a habit he got into because he did it when we rescued him. But every ratties is different so like Jo said could be stress related or boredom. I wish they could talk and tell us what their deals are sometimes lol would make things so much easier

My one male, Mooshi does this. He always barbers the front of his arms. For a while he started barbering his cagemate, Peanut. No idea why. He's stopped for now for no apparent reason. Silly ratties.

When I first got Debbie she barbered her arms and chest bald. Gradually, as time passed Debbie barbered herself less and less. Several months after her and her sisters moved into my apartment I finally was able to see her belly markings ... eventually she stopped this behaviour, resuming it briefly when she became ill with chf. In her case, I believe it was due to stress.
So ... nothing you can do except provide an interesting, confortable, safe environment and hope that helps.

Back