Rat and mouse rescued from CL

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2700

While cruising Craigslist I came across this ad:
[quoteemCL ad:xsv7572n]Free: Female rat and mouse

I have a female rat and mouse to rehome. Both of which are pregnant(not sure how far along).

The rat is initially a pet rat, not a feeder. She is pretty shy, but not nibbly at all. I'm not sure how far into her pregnancy she is. She is about 4 months old from my understanding.

The mouse is a feeder mouse, however, my snake refused to eat her, so now, she is just taking up space.

I don't particularly care if whoever takes them(or just one) uses them as a pet, or a feeder. Please reply to this email for info, or send a text to *removed* whenever and we can go from there. Thank you.[/quoteem:xsv7572n]

I saw the above ad on CL and had to step in. I texted the girl and was told she was holding both for someone else but they hadn't confirmed a time yet. I managed to talk her into letting me have the rat if I would pick it up asap. So I grabbed my carriers and drove like mad to her place. The rat was being kept in a small critter keeper. As it turns out the girls boyfriend wanted a pet rat and went out to a pet store and got one. He was told it was pregnant. Girl thinks rats are for food but her "pets" weren't big enough (thank goodness) and said it had to go.

While I was there I managed to get her to give me the mouse as well. She told me I wouldn't want it because it was and I quote "in pretty rough shape from being at the store." Of course at that point I certain I wanted the mouse. She said she knew the mouse was also pregnant. When I asked her where the mouse was she said "Oh, I've been keeping it in a bag in the closet because I don't want to look at it." She also told me she tried to kill the mouse by putting it in with the rat but it didn't work. She handed me the bag and without looking I took both the rat and the mouse out to my truck and left.

A few blocks away I pulled over and moved the rat out of the critter keeper into a carrier and the mouse into the critter keeper. I was appalled at the mouse's condition, very bad tail injuries. (Photo in the spoiler.)

They are both settling in now so I'll get better photos later.

[spoiler:xsv7572n]
IMAG2054.jpg
[/spoiler:xsv7572n]

Cute little girl rat
IMAG2056.jpg

Both have been weighed rat is 98 grams and the mouse is 30 grams. The mouse's tail has been cleaned up with some warm saline and is being treated with clavamox and ibuprofen. I can guarantee the mouse is not pregnant as it's a boy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rat isn't pregnant but will be watching her closley and weighing her daily. I will foster both of them, the mouse until he is healed and the rat until I'm certain she isn't pregnant and then I'll find them good homes.

:) Thanks for the good thoughts guys. It helps to know I have you guys to fall back on when I need to whine about how impossible it is to medicate a teensy mouse who wants nothing to do with me without crushing him/hurting his tail.

dspch911 said:
:joy: :thumbup: someone should store her in a bag for awhile
Couldn't agree more.

The mouse is now named Hank. Hank wants nothing to do with me or my meds or the water bottle. He, however, has a weakness for mash. I put it in the cage, and he gobbles it up. So his meals are laced with meds and I have given him other things to chew on if he wants something harder to chew. I will man up at some point and force meds since ideally clavamox should not be given with food, but for tonight it will have to do.

IMAG2058.jpg

IMAG2060.jpg

IMAG2061.jpg

IMAG2062.jpg

I am still trying to name the little rat girl. When I had her out on my bed she was in about ten places at once. :giggle:
IMAG2075.jpg

IMAG2079.jpg

IMAG2080.jpg

IMAG2082.jpg

IMAG2086.jpg

Oh they are both lucky and lovely! The tail on the mouse will heal don't worry. I used baytril for my tail injury on a mouse and she healed fast and well :) The little girl is adorable!! I wonder how long she had the rat for? A week? Another week and you'll notice the significant gain of pregnancy. Do you have a digital scale? That would be best for determining if pregnant or not. Good job!! :thumbup:

What an amazing person you are for rescuing these poor babies. The mouse is so cute! And the face cleaning pictures just gah!!!!!

lilspaz68 said:
Oh they are both lucky and lovely! The tail on the mouse will heal don't worry. I used baytril for my tail injury on a mouse and she healed fast and well :) The little girl is adorable!! I wonder how long she had the rat for? A week? Another week and you'll notice the significant gain of pregnancy. Do you have a digital scale? That would be best for determining if pregnant or not. Good job!! :thumbup:
Thank you. Do you think the clavamox or baytril would be a better option for the little guy? I have him on clavamox now but if baytril would be better then I will switch him.

It looks like he is going to loose the last part of his tail, it's darker today then it was yesterday. Is it safe to let it come off on it's own or do I need to get him to a vet to have it removed?

Tail as of today:
[spoiler:q33nyn8r]
do8hgm.jpg
[/spoiler:q33nyn8r]

I have no idea how long she had them but I am guessing not long. There was maybe a day or two's worth of poo in the carrier but also no sign of food or water. :( I do have a digital scale, I plan on weighing her daily to keep track.

Angel22 said:
What an amazing person you are for rescuing these poor babies. The mouse is so cute! And the face cleaning pictures just gah!!!!!

In other news I got a wheel for Hank and I am glad I did, he is a bundle of energy today. No doubt feeling better with good food, water and meds in him.

The girl (in need of a name, help) is up to 115 grams today from yesterday's 98 grams.

You could call her Phoenix (phebs for short) because she has been reborn into a new rat under your care.

How great to see you have rescued these two - they needed an angel for sure!
I will throw in my two cents:
Clavamox is Amoxicillin, which is fine to take with food, so I would keep giving it to Hank that way if it is working.
The end of the tail does look like he will lose it. One of my rats degloved her tail, and the bone died in that area and fell off, no problem. I gave her pain meds as it looked sore for a few days.
Your young rattie looks great!
I hope the both of them continue to do well with you, and keeping fingers crossed there are no babies on the way.

Thank you soooo much for rescuing them. Wow, I can't get over some people, how heartless they can be.
Your new sweeties are so gorgeous.

mamarat said:
Hank is so cute, love his name. Little girl is adorable. How about Ana for her name?
She doesn't act like an Ana would, or at least it doesn't seem to fit her. Thanks though.

Update: Hank is feeling much better and causing trouble, chewing the plastic off of the bars. He's also figured out and loves his wheel.
The rat is hard to weigh but it looks like she is still at 115 grams.

Angel22 said:
You could call her Phoenix (phebs for short) because she has been reborn into a new rat under your care.
I am leaning towards calling her Fi from your suggestion. It's a toss up between Fi and Belle.

dspch911 said:
She looks like a Millie to me...
She looks nothing like my aunt Millie. :p Sorry, had to say it, I always laugh when people suggest names and I happen to have a relative/friend/coworker named that.

Joanne said:
How great to see you have rescued these two - they needed an angel for sure!
I will throw in my two cents:
Clavamox is Amoxicillin, which is fine to take with food, so I would keep giving it to Hank that way if it is working.
The end of the tail does look like he will lose it. One of my rats degloved her tail, and the bone died in that area and fell off, no problem. I gave her pain meds as it looked sore for a few days.
Your young rattie looks great!
I hope the both of them continue to do well with you, and keeping fingers crossed there are no babies on the way.
Thanks Joanne! I want whats best for him, so I'll continue his meds as they are and to keep an eye on him. Thanks also for the well wishes. :)

jorats said:
Thank you soooo much for rescuing them. Wow, I can't get over some people, how heartless they can be.
Your new sweeties are so gorgeous.
I have a hard time getting over it too. I always have to tell myself that while I can't save them all I can and have made a huge difference for the ones I do take.

Updating:

Hank lost the end of his tail today and his other injuries seem to be starting to heal.
Bell now weighs 120 grams and her new home sneezes are ending.

What a sad state this was. A huge pat on the back for handling it so well. These little guys have no idea just how lucky they really are. :D

Thanks guys. :)

I'm starting to worry that Bell is pregnant. She is up to 127 today. That's a gain of 29 grams in five days.

Back