Rat acting strange after neuter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

Ok I know I've asked alot of neuter realted questions today but I'm a newbie so I want to make sure I know whats going on....

So yea...last Saturday I went to go see the boy who I adopted today however I had to wait a week while he was being neutered....Anyways last weekend I held him and cuddled him and he was really calm and docile...even all the shelter staff said he was a real cuddle bug.

But today when I brought him home after his neuter he seemed very tense and nervous, wouldn't let me pick him up and was basically trying to jump out of my hands while I was checking his balls to make sure everything was still good down there...the vet said I had to check it often for the next day or two just to make sure the incision didn't open up....could he possibly still be in pain from the neuter of is he just stressed from being in a new place.

Also, I noticed that he is scent marking all the things in his cage. Is there any way this could effect the stitches?

He's probably just stressed from the changes/move.
And no, scent marking shouldn't bother with the stitches.
What's good is that he sounds bright and alert.

oh my god! those poor boys! The vet told me they weren't in any pain but stupid me...I should have figured that one out on my own.

Thanks for the info SQ

I was wondering why rats needed pain meds.....we never give any to dogs or cats...unless they need it of course....We give them a soft bed, warm blanket, and some warm food....probably just to baby them and make ourselves feel better but we don't give pain meds....I will have some on hand in case my boys need it but I'm hoping they don't.

Rats are generally very obvious with their pain. They do the owie stretch, where they stretch their body out at odd angles and their sides sink in. I don't know if males do that after their neuters, but females often do after their spays.

IMO, after any major surgery, you're going to have pain. I don't care how good of a doctor/vet it is. It's an invasive procedure that takes bits out, stretches out other bits, and is mostly invasive. Managing pain for a day or two after the initial procedure is what my vet and I do. I've always received pain meds for my cats and dogs after surgeries. Small doses for a couple of days only.

Animals hide pain very well but that doesn't mean they aren't suffering.
The first two ratties I had neutered were in horrible pain ... not moving, not eating, doing owie stretches. That was when I was new to ratties and I changed vets as a result.
I always medicate with metacam for 4 or 5 days after a spay or a neuter as that is how long they can be experiencing terrible pain.

So it metacam pain meds?

The vet at the shelter didn't really seem to know too much about rats when I talked her. But never the less, my boys do seem to be healing fine. They are eating and walking around and get very excited when the other rats go near the cage. They are doing some owie stretches but since its been 4 days already since the surgery I guess its safe to assume that the worst is over?

Hi metacam is for pain. It also reduces inflammation.
If they are doing owie stretches, they are in pain.
Good that they are walking around and eating tho.

Back