Rat acting limp, uninterested, lots of discharge, drooling, I don't know what's wrong

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbbySkye

I went upstairs a little while ago and Cyrus was laying oddly, I scooped him up and he just kinda limply hung in my hands and he had goopy red discharge coming from his eyes and nose (can't remember the name rn sorry) I freaked out and after holding him for a bit realized his back legs weren't working right either. I've called a few vets that have overnight emergency care and the cheapest was $175 plus whatever medicine/care he might need, and please don't attack me for saying I just can't afford that right now. I held him for an hour and he just lay limply on me and then he suddenly started trying to jump around and onto my shoulders (I had to help him but he was trying) and after a bit his breathing got worse and sounded like...a very fast clock? I have a video but I can't figure out how to add it
He was breathing heavily before but it started making a weird ticking noise
The pictures are his eye when I first found him(lots of discharge) and then his eye after he rubbed it off himself I guess? After an hour or so
The other one is how he's sitting in the cage rn
I put him back in, figuring he could snuggle with his cagemate Milo for a bit, but he just plopped onto the ground and laid there, not moving
I'm even more worried cause he isn't interested in treats, or water
I think he may just be dying, or he had a stoke
I'm not a expert tho
I just want opinions on what's happening, I don't like being in the dark and anything I can do at home to make it better would be great.

extra things I forgot to mention: He's roughly 2 years old, but his old cage mate that I'm pretty sure came from the same breeder died after 2 months.
Now that his eye is clear one of them looks kinda blown.
He's not really interested in much rn, he just kinda leans against me and lays that way until he moves to find another position to lay in, which involves him pretty much just rotating his top half

Ask any questions, I'm kinda out of it rn and probably left things out
Thanks in advance.

13621319_1235088259844389_1440173135_o.jpg

13621601_1235088336511048_2055554802_o.jpg

13632875_1235088329844382_587940949_o.jpg

aww sorry about your boy
without a video and better photos it's hard to say what's wrong, and frankly even with a video, it can be hard to say....
at his age, there's a lot it can be, maybe a PT, or a stroke, he could just be old and starting to pass away from age, I just had that happen with one of mine, or.... I don't even know

can you get him to your regular vet this week?

I don't know of anything you can do at home, except to keep him calm, keep him safe in a one level cage and stay with him if he wants you there

Hey,
It seems every time I post on here it's just bad news.
I went up in the morning the day after posting this and Cyrus wasn't much better, but I was figuring it was a stroke and I knew as long as I kept him hydrated and fed he should recover. I gave him water through a syringe for a while and he seemed to really like it and I went up with watered down food in a syringe also and he was laying stiff in the cage.
We buried him in the backyard (although technically illegal apparently??) beside his old cagemate Kaiser.
I've decided these are my last rats to avoid the cycle of one dying and having to find a new friend for the surviving rat.
Any advice on how to help Milo?
He LOVED Cyrus
So far he's acting okay, a bit more quiet and subdued but that's understandable.
I have him out way more then I used to have them out, pretty much whenever I can he's sitting with the family.
I wanted to move his cage downstairs since I'm not in my room much but with the space we have, it isn't really possible.
I also gave him a cuddle buddy (a little toy fox with no stuffing in because he eats stuffing like it's candy) and we're giving him treats a little more often just to spoil him just because
Thank you for trying to help

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I would recommend either trying to apply for pet insurance or start putting money away for emergencies, that way you won't be put in the position of denying vet care. Please know I'm not criticizing you. Life happens and we are all only human. I'm just trying to be helpful and I know all too well how important preparing for these things are.

RIP Cyrus :flowers3:

Last edited:
.....Any advice on how to help Milo?
He LOVED Cyrus
So far he's acting okay, a bit more quiet and subdued but that's understandable.
I have him out way more then I used to have them out, pretty much whenever I can he's sitting with the family.
I wanted to move his cage downstairs since I'm not in my room much but with the space we have, it isn't really possible.
I also gave him a cuddle buddy (a little toy fox with no stuffing in because he eats stuffing like it's candy) and we're giving him treats a little more often just to spoil him just because
Thank you for trying to help

sounds like you're doing your very best for Milo, how is he now that it's been a little while since losing his cage mate? Edit: just realized it's only been a couple of days at best, it's too soon to really know how Milo will do long term. Just watch him and see how he handles this. (((Hugs)))

if there's a rescue nearby you might be able to foster a rat for them, who could keep Milo company, I don't know if that's a good thing or not to be honest, as you don't know how long you'd have the foster before he gets adopted, so Milo (and you) could end up with another loss sooner rather than later

it's a very tough situation to be in. If Milo does not seem too horribly upset being alone and you're able and willing to continue to give him a ton of attention, he'll probably be ok

the other option would be to try to find someone who has a rat or rats, who could take him in, but that's also not totally ideal- you don't know how Milo is going to feel losing his buddy AND the home he knows and the person he loves

It's a tough situation. You need to do what you feel is best for Milo, you know him the best, and what is best for you as well.

Back