Rambling Rats (extension of Atlantis)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsmom

I came across a breeder named "Rambling Rats" and couldn't find anything about them online. They looked similar to Atlantis rats.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/o...ancy-rats-and-dwarf-rats-ready-now/1006815285

I noticed a bunch of postings on Kijiji for "Baby Dumbo Rats, Fancy Rats and Dwarf Rats". I had a bad feeling and asked if their breeding rats were from Atlantis and the response was "Yes some are from Atlantis and several others were imported from Europe."

So they are basically just an extension of Atlantis. They have about 20 males available right now (that doesn't include any females they have). They charge $15-$30 a rat depending on ears, coat, markings. And obviously aren't ethical if they are buying from Atlantis.

Sigh. I wish there were good breeders around.

Rambling rats was tagged in some of Atlantis's posts on facebook. I believe there were one or two more on there as well. Birds of a feather.

The only thing worse than 1 byb is 4-5 that all work together to mass produce rats like they're going out of style.

Sad to say although I didn't purchase from Atlantis my feeder girls came from her. Recently found out the person I purchased them from saved them from her. My poor girls are finally coming around but they were absolutely terrified when I first got them.

The only thing worse than 1 byb is 4-5 that all work together to mass produce rats like they're going out of style.

Sad to say although I didn't purchase from Atlantis my feeder girls came from her. Recently found out the person I purchased them from saved them from her. My poor girls are finally coming around but they were absolutely terrified when I first got them.

Can you tell us more about them again Trihkal? I am trying to figure out how many of the rats from Atlantis are getting into the rescue pool...which is already overflowing :(

One is a white capped rex with some patches on her body, the other is american blue with some light fawn near her bum, legs and tummy, and she has a small white patch on her chest. They are both dumbo

Edit: they are also about 6-7 months old

Can you tell us more about them again Trihkal? I am trying to figure out how many of the rats from Atlantis are getting into the rescue pool...which is already overflowing :(

I have two girls Orchid (am blue berkshire dumbo rex ) and Nisa (am blue variegated dumbo) that were born in April. We got them in the beginning of June.

The story is my girls were separated from their mom very early (something like 3 weeks) and put in with a snake that wouldn't eat them. After spending a considerable amount of time with the snake (think weeks) I bought them in June.

I'm pretty good at socializing animals. I have been able to bring many out of their shells with enough time and effort. When I got Orchid and Nisa they were completely terrified (understandably). I have worked with them a lot and Orchid is mostly a normal rat now. Nisa is still skittish. She has ruby eyes and given everything she's been through I know it doesn't help. She has still come around a lot. She doesn't like to be picked up so I try to avoid that. She likes attention and will take food from my hand. She bruxes and stuff though and seems to enjoy life here aside from being a scaredy rat. Of course I spoil them to make up for their tragic beginnings.

The person I bought from didn't live in Hamilton. I'm not sure at what point she acquired them. To be honest I tried not to ask too many questions as it can scare them off and I wanted those babies out of there. I later found out it was from a 'big breeder in the Hamilon/Ancaster area that imports from Europe'. When I asked if it was Atlantis she said she thinks so. *sigh* First hand experience of what bybs can do to their poor babies or should I say victims.

Last edited:
The forced weaning at 3 weeks of age can affect their health, their temperament, their ability to socialize with other rats all their lives. I have heard a lot of stories of people going home with Atlantis rats and ending up with scared skitty babies. With ignorant or bad owners (which seem to be her main market) these rats can end up in terrible situations, like dumped in a snake tank. Poor loves. :(

The tossing of all these scared unsocialized 3 week olds into a communal cage can also bring into play territorial aggression as they fight for food, and social standing. Its mill breeding at its worst.

She was probably dumping the lines she wasn't going to continue anymore to make room for the hordes of babies she planned on with her new european imports. Sigh.

The forced weaning at 3 weeks of age can affect their health, their temperament, their ability to socialize with other rats all their lives. I have heard a lot of stories of people going home with Atlantis rats and ending up with scared skitty babies. With ignorant or bad owners (which seem to be her main market) these rats can end up in terrible situations, like dumped in a snake tank. Poor loves. :(

The tossing of all these scared unsocialized 3 week olds into a communal cage can also bring into play territorial aggression as they fight for food, and social standing. Its mill breeding at its worst.

She was probably dumping the lines she wasn't going to continue anymore to make room for the hordes of babies she planned on with her new european imports. Sigh.

So now we know where her "leftovers" go. How many of her rats have been rescued that you know of?

So now we know where her "leftovers" go. How many of her rats have been rescued that you know of?

I have 2, Jenny has 4, you have 2, NeeNee has 2 or 4?, minnie has 2. There's probably more out there but we're not sure or don't know they are from Atlantis.

Like the 2 Merlin and Theo I have, before I cut off Nichol, she said the girl got them from a breeder in Hamilton and they are high white...so who knows right?

I found this pic of Nate on her site

babyNathanielJul82013.jpg~original

and when I took him in (prior to cataracts and severe early hormonal aggression at 4 mo). At this age he was cage territorial and very very scared. He's still not great about handling :(

aug27Nate5.jpg~original

Nao

Jun2314Nao5.jpg~original

and possibly Theo and Alvin, both fearful and hormonal.

Jul1914Theo.jpg~original

Jul1914Alvin.jpg~original

Last edited:
Are you having any behavioral or health issues with them?

daily squabbles (different from the usual lil wrestling matches, I can hear it from downstairs clearly) - couple minor injuries (scratches, occassional small minor wound) - definitely think there will be a neuter or two (or more?!) in the future...

couple are still hand shy - but will allow being picked up but do not want to stay with me...

So far I consider myself lucky...but they are only 7-8 months old...who knows what is to come...

The two I have don't have the best temperament. The blue one is very nervous when you touch her, she's super sweet and will come to you but hates being picked up. The other one is very zoomy. Never ever stops running around and is dominant over other rats. I started intros with another group and shes causing some issues.. my feeder rats have much better temperaments than them.

Back