Ralphie

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
I have been treating Ralphie with fortekor, atenolol, pred, lasix, and baytril for CHF since the beginning of Jan. The only thing that really made a huge diff was the lasix.

I was told that Ralphie was 2 years old when I rescued him a year ago in April. So I guess he is probably somewhere between 2 and 3 years.

Ralphie is alert, interested, and has eyes that are full of life. His breathing is quite laboured.
Ralphie has been unable to eat hard foods for some time and is now unable to eat soft foods unless he licks them off my finger. In the last two days, it has been very, very difficult to get Ralphie to eat.
I fear that my sweet boy may have pt. At times, the toes on his hind feet curl under. He can still grasp things with his front paws.
I increased Ralphie's pred and am waiting to see if it makes any difference.
I fear that my time with Ralphie is almost over ...

Poor sweet Ralphie. He sure got lucky when you entered his life.
The clubbing of the back feet can be an indication of aging and nothing more. I've got a few of mine that do this and there's no pt.
But when rats decide on their own to stop eating... then it's probably time to think of this as their natural decline and the end of their life. :sad3:
Give Ralphie a big kiss for me.

Another thing I've noticed, a few of mine, having reached 3 years weren't interested in food either, but they did go eat once in a while but not much. They are very skinny but still very alive and comfortable.

Some of my oldies only eat about once a day, but still come out on free range and are active in the cage. I have a girl who only licks pablum from my fingers and will only eat if I hold the food for her.

Like mamarat I used to have an old girl who would only eat if I held her in one hand, close against me, and her food in the other. She felt safe and didn't have to hold it herself. In that pose she ate quite happily and did quite well. :cuddle:

Ralphie is now doing the stiff front legged shoving thing at times :(
But since I increased the pred and added another daily dose of lasix,
he is much more active and eating more.

Ah, I guess I feel worse for you than Ralphie, I can't imagine he'd still be showing such an interest in life even with such incapacities unless he was still getting the things from it that kept his heart well-fed. Like love & warm comfort and help with the things he wanted to do.
He's in no hurry to cross the bridge now I guess, but he will go when he's filled his little heart-satchel with all the things he wants to remember most.

My heart tend to cherish the oldies just like Ralphie the most. They are so undemanding at their neediest that their needs are more a gift of closeness to us than a request for anything.
I hope your heart is full of the peaceful oneness that you and Ralphie share when you halve his physical difficulties by taking half on yourself. I think the most intimate closeness in the world is when we share birth with a child or death with a child. Both give us bonds too big for this world.

I hope things are peaceful for your boy, and that he can feel that it is peaceful for you too.

Thank you Fidget ...

According to Debbie D.'s Rat Health Care Book, "Atenolol is a beta-blocker used to treat congestive heart failure. Slows the heartbeat to improve effectiveness. 1 mg/Ib twice a day. May nneed to double as disease progresses." p.23

When I have rats we believe have CHF, my vet has been willing to perscribe fortekor, lasix and atenolol. This is what is suggested as treatment for CHF in the book. She also suggests that if these meds need to be increased, they should be doubled.
She also suggests the use of a bronchodilator.

Ralphie has been making wheezing and clicking sounds since last night.
Bit better right now ...
Bought some zithro (had a refill left on the perscription) so I may add that ...
Will get him to a vet tomorrow tho it probably will not help as this exotic vet hasn't impressed me yet ....

Ralphie on the couch today
May04Ralphie.jpg

Ralphie
May04Ralphieoncouch.jpg

Ralphie makes a break for it ... he says no more pedalite!!
May04Ralphietraveling.jpg

Ralphie hiding from me ... he is tired of having meds mashed on his face
May04Ralphiesaysnomoremeds.jpg

My sweet little Ralphie boy ...
May04sweetlittleRalphie.jpg

Ralphie resting with Ruthie
May04RalphieandRuthie.jpg

As you can see, Ralphie's colour isn't great ...

You are doing just about everything humanly possible, it sounds like the zithro will just be another thing in his face and won't help too much. It sounds like sweet Ralphie is winding down like a clock...I wish their immune systems were much stronger but they aren't.

I am sorry Holly :cry:

Ralphie ate some, most? of his meds ... hard to tell as he did manage to wipe some off on a blanket ...
He seems to be feeling a bit better tonight.
Ralphie enjoyed eating some salmon and vegs with the other ratties. :joy:

Back