Ralph - hydrocephalus?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoria

Ralph is one of my two rescued lab rats. They were 'extras' at a local vet tech program and were going to be euthanized but one of the students worked hard to get them surrendered to the SPCA. I adopted two, I wish I could have taken more but I just didn't have the space or money at the time. I'm trying to limit my adoptions right now to older/special needs rats so that I can take more next year if we can convince them no to euthanize again.

From day one the boys were very different. They were also huge, the size of adult males at the age of 3.5-4 months. They weren't well socialized (expected) but they didn't act like typical nervous rats. They did not have an aggressive bone in their body but boy were they loud when they were play fighting. A few times I had to get up to check on them at 4 am to make sure they weren't killing each other. I used to stick my hand right in between them when they were in the middle of an all out squabble and they would stop immediately and look at me confused - no close calls with their teeth and my fingers, ever.

The horse play calmed down quickly after they were neutered but they were very difficult to introduce to my other rats. Almost all of them reacted poorly to them (spayed females plus one male, added later because he was sick) and it was a long, difficult intro. Even after they moved in, it was several weeks before everyone calmed down and the screaming episodes subsided.

As time went on, Ollie (the younger one) mellowed out and became more and more of a typical, social rat. They both learned to better communicate with other rats and really enjoyed their company but Ralph always had trouble accepting new rats. The last group we introduced, it took three months of living together before he stopped chasing and terrorizing the youngest female. He would never hurt her, just chase her, box her in if he caught her and huff and puff for a while. She of course would scream, which would only confuse him and get him more worked up.

About six months ago I began to wonder if there was actually something wrong with him and not just that he was an odd ball. The balance issues were the first sign, the poor boy would be standing on flat ground and lose his balance and roll over. I've lost count how many times he managed to go down the ramps on his butt. He would get worked up when the other rats would get excited to come out of the cage and I would have to catch him mid air at the beginning of out time because he would walk right off shelves. His HED has gone from moderate to severe recently, although his hind end is not paralyzed at this point. He is not even 18 months old though, so it's unsettling.

Then I realized he did the typical hydro thing when he ate. I thought I was overreacting and it was something else because his skull is not deformed but as soon as I showed the video to Shelagh she assured me I was not. I'm not certain if he always did it and I thought it was part of his charm but I would say it's gotten worse with age. It also varies from day to day how pronounced the mannerisms are, the video is one of his better days. He often topples over when he eats if he has not braced himself against something or someone.

I've also started to suspect he's blind or close to it. I can't begin to describe the behaviour that makes me suspect it but I will try to get a video of it.

I've been meaning to make this video for a long time but it seems that I have been dealing with non-stop back to back issues since last fall and I have not been great about taking pictures in general. Last night I discovered what I believe is a fast growing inguinal tumour and it became more of a priority. I have an appointment for him Thursday and I will likely have it removed next week. The tumour is already affecting his balance, even though it's smaller than a walnut. I emailed by vet to give him a heads up about the neuro issues, I don't think he'll have a lot of insight. It's a rare occurrence to begin with and more so that the symptoms develop in this manner.

If anyone has any input or insights, I would appreciate it. He functions pretty well despite his challenged but he's easily traumatized by everyday life. I have finally discovered that he enjoys me rubbing his head when he's in a Circus or a hammock, for some reason he doesn't panic then.

[BBvideo 450,375:2iul4u6m]http://youtu.be/vCXpKD9zpPI[/BBvideo:2iul4u6m]

You can see why you would think he is blind when he walks down the ramp. He looks like he is not using any eyesight but using his feet. He probably feels better in the hammock because it is secure. Not so wide open so to speak. His head looks normal through i know they have a wider eye spacing and bigger head with hydro. It looks like some sort of nerve damage/ neuro thing but I dont know that I would say hydro. He is off balance and compensating for it when he eats and moves.

I on the other hand totally see hydro everything with Ralph, he completely reminds me of Junebug..painfully so. I instantly asked Vic if she had had him from a wee baby. I know hydro symptoms can be milder and the body develops a natural shunt and the baby adapts and goes through life with only mild symptoms.

I've suspected hydro for quite some time but doubted myself because of the lack of deformities. Unfortunately, I can't ask the school for any info as they're already hesitant to rehome the rats for fear of having them be neglected or further contribute to the unwanted pet population. If they discover they may have a genetic defect, they could use that as another reason to not rehome them.

My vet is not sure if it's hydro, he does see neuro symptoms though. Realistically, I don't know how often vets see rats with hydro. There is something going on however, if anyone has any ideas I'm open to them. When Ralph started eating like that, I immediately thought of Junebug as well.

temblabamomo said:
I have never hydro in person but I feel like the space between the eyes near the forehead look "off".

I find that the Sprague Dawley rats I've had and seen have a different look than 'fancy' rats (just as wild rats look slightly different) and he's also quite big, maybe that's why you're seeing that. He doesn't seem to have any deformation in person.

I'm super anxious about my appointment tomorrow, I can't sleep. I think the tumour is deeper than I Initially thought but it still feels like a typical mammary tumour.

I've done a fair bit of research on hydro the past few days. Hydro can be congenital or it can be acquired later in life as a result of many causes, including trauma and pituitary tumours. The rats with the dome shaped skull are the more severe, congenital cases.

Thinking back I'm pretty sure Ralph has always eaten that way (at least since I adopted him at four months of age) but it was not as frequent or pronounced until last fall or winter. Every first hand hydro account I found (where hydro was confirmed or extremely likely) really makes me think he does have a very mild form. He's not blind however, at least not all of the time. Just has very poor balance and some cognitive impairments.

Fingers crossed that things go well at the appt. Watching the vid again I paid more attention to the rest of Ralph, not just his head and coordination. he does seem rather...robust?

Back