Raina's tumor came back

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

I was playing with the girls today and when I picked up Raina I felt another lump. Can't believe it came back! It's in the same place but this one feels more oval in shape and about the size of two grapes put together. It's for sure another mammary tumor because it moves around very freely. It must have grown very fast because she didn't have it there a week ago.
I'm just wondering what I should do. Put her through another surgery to get it taken out? She's 2 and a few months now. She seems to be fine, doesn't look like she's lost any weight because of it. I've noticed her behavior has changed a little especially towards Janeway.
Raina will flick her tail in that annoyed get away from me way and they have even got into a few fights which is very unusual for Raina because she doesn't fight. She's the one that would accept any new rat in the group in a split second.

What do you guys think we should do?

i know... :( shes such a trooper.. we just dont know if we should put her thru surgery again.. it doesnt seem fair to have her going thru surgery and recovering from surgery for half her life.... especially where shes practically two years old. (we dubbed her birthday sept 30/06-as we got her from the pet store and didnt have her prior history.) seems almost wrong to have our babygirl go thru a painful surgery again if she may not necessarily need it (as it may be non-cancerous/not painful ect) know what i mean?
i dunno. what do you guys think?

I know what you mean... it's a tough one. But I'm probably not the right person to ask. I had a tumour removed on my 37 months old boy. He recovered well though, didn't seem like that much hardship on him. For me, the only thing that stops me from doing a tumour removal is if the rat is sick with respiratory illness or if it's an aggressive cancer that has come back.

Aww your poor sweetie. I'm like Jo, if my rat is healthy and the vet says he's ok to go through with it, I have the tumor removed. Jevy was 30 months when he had his. He had another 3 months.

It's nice that Jevy lived for an extra 3 months. Such a hard decision. I asked the vet at the moncton animal clinic how much it would be and she thought around 250. I told her they only charged me around 150 in Fredericton. I wish I had my old vet down here from Freddy, they were great. I'm going to call around and see what people say. Does anyone know a good vet in Moncton?

Back