Rabbit vaccinations

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefriggintribe

I know that pet rabbits in the UK are suppose to get vaccinations but I never hear about them needed anything in North America.
Is that true?
My rabbit is an indoor/outdoor pet so I worry about her health if she can get something from wild hares.

The UK does vax their rabbits, but after doing a google seach virtually no one in the US or Canada does. Your best bet is to check with your vet and see what they say.

Rabbits in Europe and Australia need vaccinations for Myxomatosis but it is not a risk in North America (rabbits have to go through intense quarantine before coming from affected countries) so rabbits here are not vaccinated. The wild hares here are not the same species as our domestic rabbits, I don't think the same is true overseas, which is where the issue originates.

In the UK I've also seen that rabbits are vaccinated against a type enteritis. I don't fully understand if it's an enteritis that is caused by a pathogen or they're vaccinating rabbits against a bacteria that's a common issue when rabbits go into stasis. Rabbits kept outdoors are often more susceptible to enteritis and entero toxemia because stasis would not be caught as quickly in a rabbit living in a hutch versus one living in your living room and most rabbits in the UK are kept outdoors.

Back