R.I.P Polo: ? - Dec.23/2011 *Photo heavy*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMak

I rarely post on here now, however I went on the chat last night because when I ran into an issue with Polo, I knew this was the first site to go to where there were many knowledgable people I could count on, like always, to help me figure things out while my head was cloudy during a tough time.
Also thought I'd post an update since Polo had some fans in the past (I'm sure the jumping photo's will ring a few bells for some!)

For those who were not on chat last night, I had noticed Polo was going downhill fairly fast within a 24hr period. I will not go into details about what was happening, but in short, he basically had everything going wrong with him by the time night came around. No appetite, mobility and unable to properly "go to the washroom."
It was quite clear that he was in pain so I had checked on him throughout the entire night while having him wrapped up in a blanket and with some infant ibuprofen (thanks to Shelagh's suggestion) to atleast help him somewhat with discomfort. By the time morning came around, I knew it was time.. he was no longer able to simply just be a rat. He was euthanized at 10am this morning (and yes, I was in the room to entire time to stay with him during his last breaths)

Polo was estimated to be about 3 years old (adopted from the SPCA, but him and his brother were both assumed to be around 10 months to a year old when I got them)
Always super energetic and full of spunk (and along with that, little spurts of attitude!). Favourite activity? Jumping everywhere and anywhere. He was kept in the same cage as his brother his entire life (except for the past couple of months due to Marco getting picked on by Polo way too much due to his mobility issues. I did let them quickly sniff each other before I left for the vet this morning, however... although not for long since I didn't want to stress him out anymore then he already was)
Due to his energy, I spent the most time teaching Polo tricks.. and he always picked up on them super fast! He was the best at walking on his hindlegs on command. :)

There is a large thread here of stories and photo's from his lifetime: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19529
However, I thought I'd post a few of my favourite pictures from over the years here.

His walking trick (this was around when he was first starting to learn it)
polostanding.jpg

Stealing and carrying a massive treat... tsk tsk
easter10.jpg

polobunk.jpg

Easter time, stuffing his head into an egg for a treat, lol
easter5.jpg

Stealing my water (he was quite a thief)
april158.jpg

Polo1.jpg

Climbing my leg
ratsfeb2.jpg

JUMPING!
ratsmarch21-3.jpg

ratsmarch21-2.jpg

And lastly, my favourite of him and his brother together...
websiteheader.jpg

Oh my gosh! What an absolute sweetheart. He looks like he was a happy little guy. I just lost one of my rats and it is not an easy thing to go through at all. I'm sorry for your loss. Play hard at the bridge little buddy.

Thanks all...
A few short, old videos as well for those interested...

A little sample of his jumping, although this vid doesn't do him much justice.

and a quick video of his walking trick.. I believe he had only done it a couple times before in this one.. so it was very new to him
(hence him trying to cheat by leaping at my hand lol)

I am so sorry! He taught me that boys do jump! I will never forget seeing those pictures for the first time. Rest well Polo! No limits to your jumping now handsome!

After the sedative, he took his last bit of energy to turn his head and shoulders toward me... not sure if he did it to see me on purpose or not, or be closer... but either way, it made my heart melt! Also, coincidentally... the lady from the SPCA who had adopted both of them out to me happened to be at the vets the exact same time as us.. so she got to say her goodbyes as well, which made me happy as she adores Marco & Polo.

Marco is still alive and well... so the era isn't completely over just yet!

Awww, I'm so sorry for your loss. He looks like he was quite the character! We sometimes forget that rats are great jumpers - you wouldn't with him around. He jumped OVER the bridge when he got there!

Thanks all... he really was full of personality, that's for sure!

Still haven't been able to manage cleaning his portion of the cage yet... still feels pretty wierd every time I go in my room.. I still almost expect him to jump out of a hammock and come running up to me. :(
I'm hoping when I clean Marco's portion, on Thursday, I can push myself to do Polo's as well... but at the moment, that's still a bit of a tough thing to get through my head.

Back