Quilt fell off my shoulder. 1/19-Suddenly gone. RIP.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quilt has been healing up amazingly. Teeth coming back in well, behavior returned to pretty much normal. More cuddles than previous. Still walking somewhat tenderly. Also noticed a little "sigh" sound that he has made for quite a while has increased. His lungs are sounding as clear as they have since his initial fall.

He took a little tumble this afternoon on the couch but seemed nonplussed by it. Was his normal self for several hours.

Suddenly about 15 minutes ago he was in the "prayer position" in the cage. Picked him up and he is dishrag limp. Just lying on us right now. Making no effort to move or to take food from us.

Now what?! My squishy rat is giving me high(er) blood pressure.

I wonder if he fell harder than you thought? Or it could be a stroke. Just keep him warm and hydrated and if he doesn't improve then I would suggest a vet visit. Poor guy, he just can't seem to catch a break.

I'm so sorry. I had a rat fall and pass away 2 weeks later. He had damaged his kidneys in the fall and the vet only saw that on a post- mortem. Wish I could be of more help with your little one.

Think it was a stroke. He was just limp. His breathing got gaspy, he had a small seizure, and then he was gone. He was curled up on my chest getting petted by MomRat and myself.

It was quick. Maybe an hour from when we noticed something was wrong to when he stopped breathing. We let his cage mates see him for a little bit then put them back in the cage.

Man...Quilt was supposed to teach the girls we're getting Monday about being cuddley goofballs.

You cannot imagine my shock!! Its after 3am and I am heading to bed and wanted to check once more on Quilt just to see if he was ok after his last issue, and this... ohh my I am so so sorry!! *heartbreaks* I am just in shock, never expected this :( Rest Peacefully Quilt, Mom and Dad were with you till the end :(

So sorry to hear on the passing of your special squish, I'm glad he was curled up with you right to the end *hugs*

Back