quick question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewa

I was having a debate with my sister and we were debating about dumbos and hairless rats. In order to have a dumbo rat does at least one of the parents need to be dumbo? Also if you have a hairless rat does at least one of the parents need to be hairless? My sister says " in order to have a dumbo rat , at least one of the parents needs to be dumbo" Im not saying she is wrong I was just wondering if that is the case or not. Thanks!

I read some about rat genetics... And I'm not sure but I think if two standard ear rats carry dumbo genetics, babies can be dumbos. But standard is dominant over dumbo so if one of two parents is pure standard (no dumbo carry), I dont think there will be dumbo babies even if the other rat is a pure dumbo.

IF IT WORKS THE WAY I THINK : (It works like that for many things ^^)

Quick exemple

DD - Pure standard ear
Dd - Standard ear carrying dumbo
dd - dumbo

DD X dd = Dd, Dd, Dd, Dd (so it gives you a standard ear carrying dumbo)

DD X DD = DD, DD, DD, DD (All pure standard)

dd X dd = dd, dd, dd, dd (all dumbos)

Dd x Dd = DD, Dd, Dd, dd (25% dumbos, 25% pure standard, 50% standard carrying dumbos)

dd x Dd = Dd, dd, Dd, dd ( half dumbos, half standard carrying dumbos)

Dumbo is a recessive gene so both parents need to be carrying the dumbo gene.
However, because it is a recessive gene, a rat has to recieve a dumbo gene from both of its paents to have dumbo ears.
So both parents could be carrying the gene (neither dumbo eared) and they could have a dumbo baby ... in this case, most of the babies would not be dumbo eared.

I don't know if true hairless rats need one or both parents to be hairless ...

But double rex rats (whom are often referred to by some people as being hairless) can have two parents that are normal rex rats (ie have hair).

double rex is where the rat has patches of hair that will fall out from one spot, and grow back in another.
they're often confused with hairless rats.

someone else can tell you with more detail i bet.

This is really a very interesting topic. I brought out Nez during my small group just to introduce her to everyone, and somebody asked me..."is that any different from the rats that run around in sewers?" I spent a small amount of time explaining the pedigree of fancy rats...and I didn't even get into dumbo, rex or hairless. I do have a question about Husky rats...is it just the colouring or are they larger than regular fancies?

i have no idea , i assume it is because they are husky in weight ?? :nod: but that is obvious , too obvious haha

Well I definately have two husky boys... though I don't think they were bred that way. They just growed that way :giggle:

Okay from what i know Roan (aka Husky's) is a resessive gene marking and a fading gene in rats. They start off solid colored as babies and roan (or silver) with each molt through out their lives. They also have white bellies but their markings can be berkshire or hooded like. As far as i can tell their the same size as normal ratties :D

Here's another example this ones a 5 week old rattie:
B5.jpg

Here's an example at about 2 months old:
Joshface9_13.jpg

Notice all the silvering on his back

Here's the same rat about 6 months old:
Joshside4_26.jpg

And now the colors all gone :panic:

Someone correct me if im wrong though!

This information was found at http://www.dreameyce.com/eagleseye/rattery/ratinfo/huskyrats.htm

Back