Quick help, fighting? Dominating, not sure?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

September555

Ok....I snoop here all the time and blog once in a while. I have a pretty urgent deal here I need advice on. Since I dont blog to much, refresher on who and what I have. I have two females. I have one who is about 2 yrs old (Bailey) and one that is around 1 year old (Lily). They have not always been together. I had Bailey but her cagemate/sister passed away, then I went and got Lily for her to have company. Bailey was one when I got Lily, Lily was only a few months. Intros went well (with alot of Jos help!) They did the typical boxing, dominating thing, flipping each other etc. Well they have been cagemates now for a year this month. Lily the youngest seems to "pick" at Bailey more than anything, I hear squeeling and squeeks quite often and when I look up, Lily has Bailey down and I just say Lily and she stops. And they sleep together and cuddle and all that so they get along, and if I remember correctly some of this is normal anyways. So it has never been a problem, it only happens so often. They play like crazy when they are out together, they get along fine

Beginning of this week, I went to get the girls out for playtime. I noticed Lily had a blood spot on her neck. Looks like it may of been a pinch from Bailey or something. I still hear and see the normal spats, but nothing any more usual than before. Two days ago, at play time Lily had quite a few more of these on her. They were blood dots, some had turned to scabs. They are about her neck and face. One really close to her eye. Tonight, I go and get them out, and Lily has a big mark on her Jaw area, feels like a little bump under it, plus the old stuff and fresh stuff

My assumption is Bailey is biting at her, and nipping her, or doing the power thing and is doing it way to much and way to hard. Bailey is very mellow and sweet, and this is NOT typical behavior of her, Lily has always seemed to be the dominant one, in face 98% of the time I have heard them, I find Lily being the one on top of her and getting at Bailey

So I am gonna attach the best pic I can of this. these were from 2 days ago, it is alot worse now. Pics are not that great, cell phones and moving rats don't go well. What is this and why??? Do you think this is Bailey picking on her, and if so, why now, why that much that hard all the sudden? If not, could it be a skin irritation? Nothng in their cage has changed at all. I wash their bedding and clothes in dye free/perfume free soap (when I first got Lily her eyese bled here and there, sensitive to everything, had to take out cage bedding and use material instead etc). Nothing in their cage has change, diet is the same, laundry same, absolutely nothing has changed. So if it is her skin, I dont understand why. These look like bite/pinch/nip marks to me. I dont know.

They are in a huge three story cage together, so plenty of room, sleeping places etc. They sleep together during the day and snuggle, so this is happening during the night or afternoons when they are awake.

I have a smaller cage, I can seperate them at night, but how much wil this stress one or the other and any pointers on that? I thought about putting one in the smaller cage for the night and then putting them back in their normal cage in the morning until this clears up. Maybe Bailey since she is older and less active can be in the smaller cage. Any pointers? Ideas? Is it safe (as far as stress) to seperate them like that nightly?

Any help would be appriciated. I dontknow what to do.

Paula

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Ive olso noticed it on just one side of her face more than the other. It seems to be on her right side of the face and some around her neck. If she had an irritation, wouldnt it be all over her body? I just got them out for playtime and set up the smaller cage and set it on the floor and they were skittish of it, Lily who is extremely nosy anyway checked it out, I had to force Bailey to look in there. When I went to put them away, I gave them both a treat and set them in there just to see what they would do, and Bailey was really scared and Lily was a little spazy about it....wanted to see which one would handle it best, they both were like....eh thanks but no thanks. So I put them both back in their main cage for tonight. :panic:

:panic: :panic: :panic: :gaah: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Bailey has absolutely no signs, cuold it still be just the one, and will Baily get it and do I treat both anyways? So all the vets around here are.....well retarded when it comes to Rats! My vet, that I could normally go to with Rat problems, tell her what you guys recommend, would listen and give me pretty much what I asked for them if it made since, passed away in June. So what do I use to treat mites with, name of meds etc and I assume this is vet prescribed?!? Maybe if I go to the new vet she can work with me. I dont it I have aleady had a bad experience with her over my cat...shes an cold hearted b(#*@!! Is there over the counter stuff?

Can my cat's get the mites? My girls get out for an hour or two at night and free roam my bedroom, all over my bed, floor, wherever they are, they are. So does that mean the mites fall off them and live and can host onto me or my cats? (my cats and I are in my bedroom 70% of the time too. The cats dont touch the rats, or go nead them, but didnt know if the mites can host off the floor until they latch onto something else.

Oye! I am sure this is old school for alot of you who have alot of rats, and have rescued alot, this is my first case! I assume I do a complete cage scrub down, if so do I do it during treatment or after? What do I do?

:gaah:

Thanks
Paula

Also when these spots happen, her fur gets a little bloody/pink in the spot area, that is why I assumed it was bite marks. Mites do that? And of the vets are closed tomorrow due to the holiday, then I will have to be Tuesday, anything I can do in the meantime? Also....how do they suddenly just get this stuff? If for some reason it is not mites, and I dont doubt you ONE bit Jo, never have, you have been 110% right every time I have came here or to you personally, sometimes pics are hard to see, will the mite meds hurt her for no reason? When I do get the meds, what about doesage, how do I know the vet is right since no one is really around I can trust. I assume it goes by weight, Lily is abviously full grown, she is not fat, she is normal size (small breed rat) and she is a little dainty. She is kind of pear shaped, a little bigger in the back than small, but not fat, and maybe she is suppose to be that way, she is a dumbo and I have never had a dumbo before. But she is still fairly dainty. Normal size seeminly.

Paula

From what I remember, your cat is ok, mites are species specific. If they do have mites there can be more fighting in the cage.

When mine have had mites Ruby (my pew) has always shown it first then after a while another one would show. She was always the first.

Some rats are more succeptible to showing mites... Hansel always gets them first for some reason.

Just dose everyone for mites and make sure you wash all the bedding and everything they play with. Freeze all wooden materials as well when you get it. I usually freeze the bedding as well!

Most on the forum use Revolution, I prefer to use Ivermectin. You can get Ivermectin paste (horse dewormer) at any feed shop quite cheap. Ivermectin is the best treatment for most rat parasites (except tapeworms). You can successfully treat rats and mice for mites and lice using this drug. Just make sure you treat for the life cycle of the mite which normally is 3 to 4 weeks and treat everyone in the immediate area.
Rotectin 1, Zimecterin, Equalvan, or Equimectrin all contain 1.87% of Ivermectin and can be used on Rats. I get it in paste form inside a syringe Use the tip of a toothpick, take a small amount, the size of an uncooked grain of rice. If they don't eat it direct, put a small amount of something sweet on it (corn syrup etc) Repeat this once a week for three to four weeks. Also make sure you wash all material items in hot water, freeze anything you can in a freezer for 48 hours (72 is better) and vacuum carpets or wash floors as mites do leave their host until the next feeding or reproducing period. Your cat is OK, BTW, mites are species specific.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks everyone for the input. I will get her to the vet first thing or look into the Ivermectin. We have a store like that pretty close by, after all I do live in hickville. :giggle: I am relieved I dont have to seperate them, they both were like...uhhh yeahhhhh when I put them in the smaller cage just to get a feel for it. I guess I wouldnt want to go from a mansion to a one room apartment either. It is also a relief about the cats, I have two cats, one whom is sick with congestive heart failure and he doesnt need anything else compromising/stressing him out. He is on medication for it and doing very well I definately do not want him stressed.

thanks again.
Paula

Back