questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
javakittie said:
Kinda :eek:fftopic:

Ferrets really shouldn't smell bad.. They have their natural musky scent, but it shouldn't be overwhelmingly noxious. Same goes for their wastes - it's bad, but not knock-you-over. As for allergens, though, that would be their dander along with whatever dust is in the room. Grooming them by brushing them often and baths once a month or so would cut that down some.

Totally missed this, LOL!

Much moreso than the waste odor is the musky scent that they have naturally. Their litter box smells but it doesn't kill my allergies nearly as much as their natural aroma of musk. My mother, grandmother and aunts are all pretty allergic to anything musky. Asa and I have discussed rehoming the ferrets because of the dander and musk but love them too much. :( As for washing them, I've heard soooo many times that you shouldn't wash a ferret more than 3-4 times per year and really only if they get into something because of the number it does on the skin and how much oil they build up as quickly as possible to cover for what they lost in the bath. Every time we wash them the smell quickly gets worse and my allergies suffer. :( Brushing helps, though. Sorry... I've totally gone :eek:fftopic: :lol:

I didn't mean bathing on a daily basis or anything, but it seems your ferrets already get alot worse after baths. A friend of mine bathed his 3 every few months with no adverse effects, I figured there was no harm in mentioning it.

oh certainly! ^_^ Some ferrets' smells get better after a bath once a month or so (my friend has one that smells wonderful for 2 weeks after a bath... very cool ferret!!) but mine are definately not interested in making my nose feel batter by making their skin behave after a bath :D The little Devils! :D

hehe, I suppose it's not as expensive when you don't buy the biggest size possible :laugh4: I feel like such a dope for having never though about it that way! LOL!!!!

Back