Question - inodilator Vetmedin (pimobendan) use with rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
My vet has been unable to find any info on the use of inodilator Vetmedin (pimobendan) with rats.
Does anyone know of any articles or have any experience with it?
Do you know if it works well for rats with congestive heart failure?

Thanks

I have been using vetmedin on my rats. Isis got about a month or two, the big boys have been on it since march and we only lost one recently. The other is doing ok, but they are really fat so it is a wonder they are still with me. I know a lot of article show it for dogs with enalapril so that is what we based ours on.

I suck at that I use the 1.25 mg pills i believe. They are incredibly hard to mix they are flavored tabs so they are more of a paste. It has helped us I cant say their lives were extended for a very long time but some have been on them for months now. I am actually thinking about switching to atenol it would be easier to mix up than these pills are.

A vet at the clinic I go to gave it to me for a friends rat when I took him in. Unfortunately, that was used as a diagnostic (Shooting in the dark, picking some random heart med rather than trying Enalapril seems to be the case? I have no idea.) and he was euthanized not soon after as he just was not getting any better.

Thank you for you comments and all the info !

Moses has had an enlarged heart at least since Dec 2011.
His brother Aaron died unexpectedly from a heart attack Nov 2011.
Moses is on benezapril (enalapril), atenolol, lasix and digoxin.
Moses is now worsening due to his congestive heart failure.
My vet was wondering if adding this med might help - my understanding from him, was that it works well with dogs ...

That was all I found when I look for loki

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28574&p=395383&hilit=vetmedin#p395383

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/60791.php

The study concluded that dogs suffering from overt, clinical heart failure from atrioventricular valvular disease had improved quality of life and survival times when treated with pimobendan with or without furosemide, compared to those given benazepril hydrochloride with or without furosemide.

I found this, i am looking up the drugs

As the first of a new class of heart treatments termed Inodilators, Vetmedin has a dual mode of action, acting directly on the heart as a calcium sensitiser to increase myocardial contractility and on the peripheral circulation through selective phosphodiesterase III inhibition to produce both peripheral and coronary vasodilation. As a consequence, Vetmedin increases cardiac output and reduces both the preload and afterload. Furthermore, Vetmedin improves cardiac output by increasing the efficiency within the myofilaments, with no increase in myocardial energy requirement.

Pimobendan (Vetmedin) , combined with the other two groups I have already mentioned, is rapidly becoming a standard treatment for CHF in dogs. All positive ionotropes increase the strength of heart muscle while decreasing the pressure the heart must work against.
Calcium is important in the mechanism of muscle contraction. The force of heart muscles contraction is related to the amount of calcium ion present. Pimobendan increases the heart’s sensitivity to the calcium that is already there.

and this

http://www.2ndchance.info/conghtfaildog.htm

ACE Inhibitors
The most common drug in this group, used to treat CHF, is enalapril. But benazepril, captopril, lisinopril and other ACE medications are also used. Drugs in this class differ in their absorbability and the stress they put on the kidneys and liver. (Ref) Their effect on your dog is not immediate and it will take a week or so before you see improvement.

These medications decrease the effort your pet’s heart must make to pump blood through its circulation by relaxing and expanding blood vessels throughout the body. They do this by reducing the formation of a hormone in the lungs, (angiotensin II), that increases your pet’s heart work load (peripheral or systemic vascular resistance). Angiotensin II is also bad because it increased the production of a hormone your pet’s adrenal glands (aldosterone) that causes sodium and water retention and high blood pressure (RASS system) In doing so, ACE inhibitors lower blood pressure and decrease salt (sodium) and water retention.

Positive Ionotropes

Pimobendan (Vetmedin) , combined with the other two groups I have already mentioned, is rapidly becoming a standard treatment for CHF in dogs. All positive ionotropes increase the strength of heart muscle while decreasing the pressure the heart must work against.
Calcium is important in the mechanism of muscle contraction. The force of heart muscles contraction is related to the amount of calcium ion present. Pimobendan increases the heart’s sensitivity to the calcium that is already there.

Vetmedin opens up the blood vessels and eases resistance in the circulatory system dilating blood vessels, and improving the efficiency with which the heart functions as a pump. The combined effect is therefore to improve cardiovascular function and the blood flow to major organs. Vetmedin is licensed and appropriate for both the major causes of heart failure in dogs. In one clinically controlled trial, dogs with congestive heart failure survived on average (median) 42 days without Vetmedin, 217 days when Vetmedin was part of their treatment.

Thank you all for the info.
Hopefloats, I will pass the links on to my vet ... thank you so much.

I had my rats to the vet today and passed on what you already written.
He was glad to hear that it has been sucessfully used with rats and is going to look into it further.

I really appreciate everything you have shared.
Thanks

Moses and Judy are holding their own.

it is really hard to say if this works the only way to really tell is that they stay living. Unless I am missing something. Edgar and Eli are/were 950g i know they had heart problem. Eli is still with me and when I found out to late with my other boys i lost them fast. I have to believe that it does work since it has been 6months of meds so far. Good luck to them. I hope these help.

Back