question about using a holly branch

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Hello everyone,
I just have aquestion about putting a branch in the boys cage. It's a good size branch that fell out of our holly tree - thanks to tropical storm Fay! It feels really sturdy but it is dead. It still has most of the bark on it. Could I put it in the boys home? I think they would have a good time climbing on it, but I want to make sure that it's safe for them. I would have my husband attach it to the cage so it can't fall.
Thanks for the help!

Melissa :tumkiss:

I know that Holly berries are considered mildly toxic and will cause vomiting and diarrhea when ingested by humans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly) and for that alone I wouldn't risk it. In addition, it's my understanding that any type of wood you use with your fuzzbuts should be cured prior to placing in the cage to ensure that parasites and other nasties are entirely removed. I only use organic apple branches with my boys and they love, love, love, them!

dl
:D

I agree with skinnyhippiechick because of the holly berries being toxic, unless there's definite information that the three itself and bark is not harmful. If you do decide to put it in, you'll have to disinfect it. I think some people boil their branches for that.

I had a whole conversation with one of the women at the local "farmstand" (quotations because its the size of a small supermarket, and their farm takes up 1/3 of my town, lol) and suggested they sell all their clipped branches from the apple trees. She looked at me like I had ten heads until I explained it...then she gave me a bunch of little things, branches, a cool terra cotta pot thing, and a little basket of mixed berries because, as it turns out, she has 15 rats at home, lol. She'd never thought of giving them the apple branches.

But yes, holly branches....the only thing, supposedly, that is toxic is the berries, but to be safe, I wouldn't put it in the cage.

I just dug out my Peterson's guide (back from the days when I took an herbal field studies course...lol). Apparently at one time Holly bark tea was used in treating malaria and epilepsy!! Unfortunately the guide does not comment on the actual properties of the plant other than to indicate that the berries are poisonous.

FYI
(I love researching...hehe :giggle: ...can u tell?)

Donna-Lynne
:D

CardboardCastles said:
then she gave me a bunch of little things, branches, a cool terra cotta pot thing, and a little basket of mixed berries because, as it turns out, she has 15 rats at home, lol. She'd never thought of giving them the apple branches.

That is just so cool!

jorats said:
CardboardCastles said:
then she gave me a bunch of little things, branches, a cool terra cotta pot thing, and a little basket of mixed berries because, as it turns out, she has 15 rats at home, lol. She'd never thought of giving them the apple branches.

That is just so cool!

Yes it is. She was basically hoarding a ton of useful and usually much loved apple branches!!!! She didnt even know it LOL My boys all love apple branches and I order them from a farm in Ohio. He sells them for small animals and my boys have always given them all paws up for taste and fun :wink2:

As per the Forbidden Food List's link to Poisonous Plants, Holly is considered bad and should not be given. Doesn't say why, or what bits of the tree, or if it's the whole shebang.. I'd not risk it, though, and stick with the much loved Apple.

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I'll toss the stick. I don't have access to apple trees, maybe I'll buy one of those bird branches. I bet they're expensive. Oh well, anything for the boys!!

Melissa

Okay. I'm sold on the apple branches. D-L do you still have the link to that vendor on e-bay you posted about in another thread, (which I can't seem to find anymore . . . not that I looked very hard . . . I'm just being lazy).

I hadn't thought about checking KimsArk. I'll be ordering some Harlan from her so maybe I can get the boys their branch from her - Thanks!! :banana:

Melissa

Back