Question about rats and cat bites.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbg

This is not because it happened to me, so no worries there! It is just for my own knowledge. I trust you guys on here to know better than most! On another rat group a 2 day old baby was found being attacked by cats (it had several bite marks and blood). The owner saved it and 24 hours later baby seems to be doing fine. I was told by a wildlife rehabilitation centre when bringing in a baby chipmunk, that cat bites for small animals are lethal due to bacteria in a cats mouth, and any animal brought in with cat bites is given antibiotics right away. No one suggested this to this woman, only to treat it if infection is obvious, and Debbie D. suggested amox only if signs are shown, and when I questioned her, she said rats are much less susceptible to things like cat bites than other animals. Is this true? I would have been terrified for the little thing and treated it right away to make sure! Would I have been acting to rashly?

cats teeth are sharp and pointy, when they bite they essentially "inject" bacteria under the skin.
most ppl treat all cat bites just in case, the consequences of not treating a bite are too serious.
I can only imagine a tiny rat getting "injected" with bacteria from a cat bite would have a much harder time fighting off the infection it can cause.

I belong to several world wide cat groups, and the consensus is, you NEVER take chances with a cat bite.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe...-health/wounds-cat-bite-injuries-to-humans/63

Thanks. I thought this was the case. I have seen that 48 hours later, the baby is still doing well, so hopefully this little one has been lucky! I'm pretty appalled at the advice of others though, especially Debbie who I thought would be more knowledgeable about this sort of thing, and who should be giving sound medical advice. Saying "Rats are a lot more resistant to that kind of infection than most other animals", to me, is extremely irresponsible! She, of all people should know better! )o:

Last edited:
She has no medical certification and unfortunately much of her information is unreliable, out of date, incorrect, etc
The standards of care she promotes are unfortunately much lower then those now accepted by the international community of knowledgeable rat owners as well.
:(

So sad that so many look up to her and ask for her help! I posted my thoughts on the matter, without being rude or anything. I stated the facts from the wildlife rehabilitation centre, which is that all animals with cat bites are immediately treated with antibiotics because they are almost always lethal. To me, as a rat owner, I hear that, and my babies would be on meds pronto!!!

Back