Question about new babies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey

Toby and Miles are a little over 5 weeks old now and doing great.
I have had them for a little over a week.

They both are sweet, but timid.
Once I get them out of the cage and in the carry pouch they are content and ready for snacks.
But sometimes when I am getting them out of the cage they run from me and act a little scared,
while other times they come right up to the door, but are still not sure about being picked up.
They also usually hide when sleeping or in the cage, they do not lie in the open hammocks and usually burrow under the fleece shelf liners.

We also started free time yesterday and they spent most of it trying to get back in their cage (since it was on the table too)
I am hoping they will get use to being out and being picked up, but I do not have much experience with rats yet and want to make sure I am doing this right.

Just be gentle and handle them a lot. They sound great! My rats are also reluctant to come out of the cage, and I've had them for a long time.

What you could do is go sit by the cage with the door open several times a day, just talking and petting them. Have some treats on hand like banana or peas or even yogurt on your finger. This might make them feel more secure. Also, continue to do out time with their cage... this seems to make them feel more secure.

I have found that with rats who are a little on the timid side, it is better to give them access to their cage during out times. You'll find that day by day they get just a little bit braver, venture further and not try to get back to the security of their cage quite as quickly. But while their confidence is building it's important for them to know that their cage is there for them if they need it.

Back