Question about my new nakkies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevalrose

So my new boys are about 7 weeks old in QT at the moment. They're both nakkies. They seem to groom a lot, especially the PEW. Do nakkies groom more than furred rats...or could my boys just be extra clean? I couldn't imagine it would be a sign of anything wrong.

and yes I know...I need to get more pictures...I keep forgetting :doh:

I do find my young nekkie girls have a tendancy to powergroom my other rats. Poor Skye was almost hairless herself.

It's mostly the PEW, Romeo. Having them out for an hour yesterday...he total-body groomed like two or three times. It's not just his nose or anything and he isn't breathing poorly...so it's not a porphyrin thing. They don't groom each other really either. Maybe he's just a super clean rattie? Their skin was a bit dry when I got them, but I did rub a thin layer of olive oil on them Saturday and their skin is feeling better. Maybe I should do it again? But he's not itchy.....

Sorry, rambling LoL. I dunno!

Hahahaha was about to post about this just now. My lil nekkid girl Pinky's skin has gotten very dry with the heat going here at the house. I know rats are uber sensitive so I wasn't sure what I could put on her skin to help her out. Was the olive oil recommended or last resort? AND my Pinky is quite obsessive about her cleanliness hehe and the cleanliness of others :giggle: she's a regular powergroomer of my other 2 girlies...it's like she slings then down and flips them over and goes "OM NOM NOM NOM YOU IS SOOO PLUSH!! OM NOM NOM NOM" all the time met with EEP EEEPPPP!!!! *kick kick kick* EEEEPP!!!

hahahahaha *shakes head* my goofy girls :cheeky:

I've read somewhere that olive oil was good. You can feed it to them or rub them in it. I just basically rub olive oil on my own hands, then rub them and it rubbed off a nice thin un-gooey layer.

Dry skin is consistent here with the weather changing all the time. I have not noticed my boy grooming any extra in comparision to my other ratties but think of it this way, fur is there to protect their skin...so when they have no fur and you are touching them all the time, its soaking into their skin...He is probably just trying to get your scent off!!! LOL

Back