Question about Harlan Teklad at Univesity of Guelph

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat

So my friend is going up to the University of Guelph tomorrow, and I asked him to pick me up a bag of Harlan. Do they have both 2014 and 2018? And can he just go in and ask for one bag, or do I have to call/email them ahead of time to ask them if they can spare a bag? I really need to get my ratties some better food, theyre on Extrusion right now. But I really like the Harlan. So yeah, can he just walk in and ask for it? And does anyone know where at the university they have it?

They only carry 2018 and you have to place the order for it 24 hours in advance but you shouldnt have too much trouble getting 1 bag but it does have to be ordered ahead of time....so you should call asap.

I was told by Panos, the one that takes care of the orders that they only carry 2014 and nothing else as it is what they use in house.

I picked up a couple of bags of 2014 from the University of Guelph at the beginning of December. I e-mailed Panos about a week in advance, made the arrangements and it was ready for me the day I arrived. He was very friendly and helpful. I couldn't have asked for better service! :thumbup:

I was there just this Friday. While I have no complaints about the service or the price I certainly have a complaint about the food. I got 10 bags and 9 of them have a mill date of 090908. That makes them only 1 month off their best before date. The other bag is 072108 - already a month past the best before date. It's partly my fault because I didn't ask when I placed the order, plus when I went to pick it up I was late so I just threw the stuff in my car and took off. But come on, these are supposed to be experts in animal husbandry!

To anyone thinking of buying from them I would advise you to ask them about the mill date on their bags. I'll certainly be more careful next time.

lilspaz68 said:
Oh no! do you think they are dumping their old stock back into the store for unsuspecting pet owners to buy?

I hope that's not the case, and that it was an oversight. I sure was pissed off about my batch. It's a bit inconvenient to return it seeings as how it's a 3+ hour round trip!

I sent an e-mail to Panos (the guy in charge). I'm hoping I'll get a credit for at least the one bag from July!

Is mill date they day they packaged the food? how does that work. so if i were to get the food today, whats the latest mill date kind of thing lol.

This is the email i got from Panos...

Hi Kat, it was brought to my attention that the Harlan warehouse in Canada has product that is 5 mnths old since our last product we received last week was the 090908 mill date. In a week this friday we will have slightly better mill date Nov 08, and hopefully shortly after 09 mill date.Is this still acceptable for you?The 100% nutrient value is stated by Harlan to be 6 months from mill date.Please reply ASAP.Thank you, Panos

So i guess he did find out about that mill date thing. So im just going to wait for the next shipment :) Is the Nov08 milldate ok? Because, if i were to package the order seperatly and freeze it, it would last until Nov09, right?

It was brought to his attention by me! I guess the bulk of the blame goes to Harlan for shipping the U of G old stock. Only the 072108 bag was the schools fault, apparently they failed to rotate their stock. I'm pretty sure Harlan has been thoroughly chastised for their role in this fiasco! :oops:

Panos was very nice about the whole thing and has offered me some free bags to make up for my inconvenience. I'm hoping to get back there early in March to pick them up. :)

I guess all's well that ends well. Good thing I have a freezer for the 090908 bags!!

I just picked up a 10 lb bag from the CAF at UofG today. Out of curiosity, how would you know the mill date? Is that only listed when you buy the extra large bags? My small bag is unmarked, so I'm assuming they just took some of the pellets out of the heavy bag and transferred them into a smaller one.

Back