Question about handling baby rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

I wasn't sure how to title this question....What I'm trying to do it get my two foster boys used to being in my shirt. They absolutely hate it. They claw at the opening to get out, head bump and nip....They hate being in a shirt, or sleeve.
They are getting friendlier with me....taking treats, let me stroke them and hold them but they hate being in my shirt or being held for very long.
Any suggestions on how to get them used to being tucked in a shirt.
I'm trying right now having them in a cloth pouch that zips shut and having that tucked in my shirt...They are still moving around but not frantically digging to get out....I just started it.

Wow, that's a first. Do they seem afraid in your shirt? If you don't mind it too much, you can try shoving food in the shirt. Might get icky though.

Yes they seem afraid....I tried some cheerios but they are so intent on getting out the ignore them.....The pouch is working a bit better......they can't bite or scratch me but they are still not settled down in it....still moving and bumping to get out....

Every time I have tried it this week they claw at my neck or my wrists to get out...I look like I have been attacked :lol: I thought maybe after they got used to me a bit more but I tried again tonight and it was awful...they even started nipping my wrists to get out.......
I could try scrambled egg...they like that a lot.

Maybe I could put one of my boys and one of these boys...If he saw how calm the other rat was maybe he would calm down?

I will try that...thanks. I have a great home lined up but with non experienced rat people. I told them I would like to keep them another week...I would like to get them more comfortable with being handled....One will now take treats from me and come running to the cage door. The other one is better then he was but not great....he will take food of a spoon and drank some ensure while I held the dish.
Hopefully I can get them a last a bit comfortable with being in my shirt this week.....My boys love to go in my shirt so maybe that will work.
Poor little babies :cry: they had nothing in their cage where they came from...no house for hiding..... nothing.....just a dish full of seed and a water bottle. Oh I can't help but cry when I think of the ones still there...especially the little boy left behind.....he must be so scared. :cry:
I have emailed Trish twice to let her know if she decides not to keep that boy or any of the girls I will come right out and get them......
The girls are the same as the boys....but the shelter staff are prepared to work with them...I'm sure patience and love will pay off.

Patience and love will help big time. It really is heartbreaking for those left behind but you have to focus on the ones you've saved. You're doing a great job!!

What a difference from other ratties! I wonder if someone confined them against their will at some point. It might be worth putting them under a vest, where they can easily escape out the armhole or the neck if they don't want to be underneath.

Good idea to keep them another week.

That is a good idea but if you don't keep your hands on them and they get out of the vest they will be gone...I know I would never be able to catch them.....
They are getting better in the playpen....They will come to me and let me pick them up....not like they run to me but like "oh my god it is frightening in here without the other boys...how do we get out"...and they come in my direction and I pick them up
I'm going to try me and my boys and foster boys under a blanket tomorrow in the playpen with no other hiding places but the blanket.......see how that works.....I will put them in my sweater and then let them come right back out........If we are in the playpen it will be safe to do that....Guess I'm going to spend alot of time in the playpen this week.......Time to move out the couch :lol:

Well tonight I got in the playpen with nothing else in there except a wheel to run on. I put on my loose and comfy housecoat and let the my boys and the foster boys crawl all over me...It went very well. At first the foster boys where timid but it wasn't long and they where falling mine in the housecoat and then out of the housecoat...We stayed in for 1 1/2 hr.....we would have stayed longer but it was time for the girls to have their play ..The foster boys seemed much more relaxed with me and going in my cloths....I'm going to do this as much as I can over the next few days......They really are sweet little boys and BOTH even licked a bit of ensure off my fingers.......

Great job! Sounds like fun, too. Now you need to get rid of ALL your living room furniture, expand the playpen to surround most of the room, get a cheap chair to put in there, and spend hours in the playpen with the gang. You can follow SQ's example and take a book & popcorn in there & watch a movie with the ratties!

Rats do very well at socializing themselves. You just have to wait for their comfort level. I often start with nervous or skittish rats and just let them explore me on their own time. It's always good if you have a nice calm rat to show them the way. There are no hands involved and they get to know you in a very non-threatening and even fun way :D

This is good to hear :D

Heard from the family who adopted the little boys and they are doing great....The little boy (he is 10) sat on the bathroom floor and played with them for a couple of hours...supervised by his father.....
The dad said that one little boy who is now named Skittles ran around through his sons shirt. The other little boy named Smartie cuddled up in the fathers shirt and fell asleep....sound like they are doing great....I told them I would be over in a week for a visit.

Back