Question about baby behaviour

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

Ang and I have noticed lately that Ezri, one of the babies, sleeps more then the others. She's also the biggest out of all of them. When all the babies are ready to come out of the cage usually she is still sleeping in the house.
We're wondering if this is normal for her to still be sleeping so much or is this an early sign of something wrong?

If it's really noticeable I'd pay attention and watch for any signs that she acted short of breath when she was playing, like quitting sooner than the others when they were having fun, but they are all different temperamentally so I wouldn't worry without other signs. (I lie, yes I'd worry cause I'm neurotic, but you shouldn't because there's really no reason to)

Fidget said:
If it's really noticeable I'd pay attention and watch for any signs that she acted short of breath when she was playing, like quitting sooner than the others when they were having fun, but they are all different temperamentally so I wouldn't worry without other signs. (I lie, yes I'd worry cause I'm neurotic, but you shouldn't because there's really no reason to)

We haven't seen her out of breath but we do notice that the others are running around a lot more then her. She's more mellow. Maybe it's just her personality?

Hopefully it is just her personality......I would certainly keep a close eye on her. Could be a problem....all those babies dieing at the beginning could have been from a genetic problem....:( I certainly hope not but I would be concerned.

Dahlas said:
Hopefully it is just her personality......I would certainly keep a close eye on her. Could be a problem....all those babies dieing at the beginning could have been from a genetic problem....:( I certainly hope not but I would be concerned.
I didn't know that and that sure is a reason to keep an eye on her as she may very well be compromised by a bad in-utero environment. There's just no telling how that might or might not affect a kid - immediately - or just when they are older and have a less able immune system. Main thing is that they are in a home where they are a beloved individual and their needs are monitored and compensated for. They can have a great life as long as they have it, and the only sadness if its not up to hopes & expectations is for their folks, not them. And none of us would have them if length of life was our concern in a pet.
We understand making lifetimes of moments.

I've noticed sometimes her belly feels a little hard right after she eats but then it goes away. Is that normal for 4 week old babies?
I really hope all the kids are able to live out long lives but we'll for sure love every minute with them if they don't.

She seems to be pooping fine, looks like normal poops. Still going to keep a close eye on her just in case....hopefully everything is ok

Back