Quarantine quandary

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawntheSnipe

Good evening all,

I'm hoping the more experienced rat caregivers here can help me decide on a good course of action...

Up until last Sunday, I had two girls from the same litter, who were not quite eleven months old. Casey is a normal, healthy, athletic young lady, but sadly, her sister Ellie was not. Ellie was a runt, and had always had poor motor control, particularly of her hind feet. Despite that, she had a bubbly, friendly personality and was very active. I used to say Ellie loved everyone and everything. She was truly a sweetheart.

Over the past couple of months, I'd noticed she would sit in a corner and stare when she was out for playtime. I took her in to the vet, and we concluded that she was having minor seizures. The vet wanted to adopt a wait-and-see approach, and asked me to bring her back in if there were any changes. That was at the end of July.

Ellie did not have any noticeable changes to her behavior until last Sunday evening. My husband and I were out walking when my son called us to say that the rats had been fighting and now Ellie was acting strange. We came straight home and found that Ellie was rushing around the bottom of the cage with sort of a staring look. I took her to the couch to check her over for injuries where she continued to run back and forth. It took me several minutes to determine that she didn't have any physical injuries, but her behavior worried me so much that I took her upstairs to ask my husband what he thought. We were only upstairs for a couple of minutes when she began having violent seizures.

When they did not abate after a few minutes, we put her in the carrier and headed down to the emergency vet. Poor little Ellie. She was gasping when we got there, so they took her back right away, but her poor little heart stopped as the vet was examining her.

Losing Ellie like that has been hard on our human family members. I can only imagine what it's been like for her sister, who is all alone now. The first two nights, I put her in a smaller cage in our bedroom, so she could at least hear our breathing. She has seemed to prefer her own cage, though. We have been spending extra time with her, but I know there are many hours in the day that she is all alone. I'm concerned about her getting sick from loneliness and grief. She has been the alpha in our mischief for several months; being alone seems to bother her.

One of my first priorities this week has been to find some young rats so Casey will have the company of her own kind soon. I found a breeder with six-week-old girls and brought three of them home Thursday night.

Here's my quandary. Casey lives on our first floor, in my home office, where I have a HEPA filter. However, our first floor is an open-plan design, so the HEPA filter is probably not operating at maximum efficiency.

The baby girls are upstairs in our spare bedroom with another HEPA filter, with the door closed. I know the ideal situation is to have them quarantined in another building, and preferably to have someone else take care of them, but that's really not possible for us. Our house is not very big from an atmospheric standpoint--only 1800 square feet.

My question is, is this an effective situation for a quarantine, or am I wasting my time? Would it be more risky to Casey's health to keep her all alone for another two weeks, or to take the chance of these babies getting her sick by putting their cage next to hers (I'm probably going to take intros very slow in either case, since the babies are so young)?

I'm trying very hard to make the right decision for Casey's sake. Every night I've put her in her cage at bedtime, it's torn at my heart to know she will have to face hours by herself. I don't think she had ever been alone for more than an hour at a time in all of her life, before last Sunday...

Thank you all in advance.

first I'm very sorry for your loss of Ellie. sounds like a terrible ordeal for everyone involved

how is Casey acting?
how long has she been alone and how long have the babies been in the house?

I am no expert on QT for sure but my guess is that it would not be a huge deal to let the girls start seeing each other

the babies need to be a certain age or size before they can be intro'd to an adult, I forget what the age/size is, but a search of this site might find that info for you.

I'd go by how Casey is acting, if she's really depressed, not eating etc, it might be less risky to allow her to see her new buddies and start the intro process than to worry about a correct QT

I personally have only known of one pet home who got a virus and it was not from bringing new rats home without doing a proper QT but rather picked up at the vet for a very necessary vet appt.
so no matter how careful you are, there's always going to be risk

it's more of a balancing act, deciding which risk is worth it, I think. and even when you do everything right, there are just no guarantees that everything will be ok

have you named the babies? got any photos :wink:

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for your condolences. The only thing that made it easier was that I did not have to ask the vet to euthanize her--I have felt horribly guilty every time I've had to do that. Little Ellie had a joyful life--I wish she could have been with us longer.

Casey has been alone since last Sunday night, so it's been a week. She has seemed happier this weekend, as we have had more time to spend with her. She has only lost a couple of grams (I weigh everyone every Saturday night), so I know she's eating.

The new babies, Rosie, Lexie and Allie, came home with us Thursday night, so they have been here four days. I have a vet appointment lined up for them on Tuesday. I've been in touch with their breeder, who says she has no health issues in her colony at this time.

When Casey is out for playtime on the couch, it almost seems like she can tell there are other rats in the house. She has been roaming from one end of the couch to the other, but spending a lot of time at the end by the stairs, leaning way over like she wants to jump down and run upstairs...

I realize I'm probably projecting my anxiety for her in interpreting her restlessness as loneliness, but it's hard not to.

I'm thinking of starting their intros if the vet gives the babies a clean bill of health on Tuesday, but I don't think they are big enough to house together yet. The babies are tiny--only 110 grams! Even if they can't be together right away, I think having other rats close by will give Casey some piece of mind...

14257710_10153741389646837_3240891394209823234_o.jpg

Allie (light gray) and Lexie (dark gray) nom some spinach...

Last edited:
14206136_10153741386186837_1434162125183974902_o.jpg

Rosie the Bold (and blurry)! She is supposed to be a ruby-eyed pearl hooded. I guess we'll see how pearl she is, but her ruby eyes are gorgeous! She has a great personality, too.

Babies need to be at least 8 weeks old (10 is better) before being physically introed to rats over 12 weeks old
Make sure cages are far enough apart so that they can not reach one another, animals have been killed by rats grabing them through cage bars
Here is some info on doing intros http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368

good luck

Last edited:
Thank you. I've been reviewing the intro recommendations. We will definitely take things super-slow.

I'd like to believe Casey would not hurt the babies, but she has been through a lot. I don't want to take the chance of there being a misunderstanding.

Quarantine period is meant to be in a different location. Unfortunately many people do not do that - I'm guiltly too. Your girls are adorable. As SQ said 10 weeks is safest. Make sure you have a towel or oven mitt available in case you need to break up a fight. You can toss a towel on them to distract them and an oven mitted hand can save you from a serious bite. You should also, if you can afford it, consider spaying them before three months to reduce chances of mammory tumors, and other female issues that can arise.

When rats run back and forth frantically they usually are doing that because they cannot breath. So sorry you had to go through that.

RIP Ellie ♡♡ Sorry for you loss

Back