Qty of Male vs. Females

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prime654

Im curious if its possible to have more males then females in the same cage.

I know I've seen a few cases where neutred males were given their own harem of ratty girls, but can it work the other way round? I have several males nows and was wondering if it would ever be possible to add a spayed female or two in the future?

(I have no plans too at the moment, just curious if it could ever be a possibility)

All my girls get spayed and I've always had mixed colonies with unneutered males. Usually a few females less than males. It has worked well for me.

It will take about a week for the males to "give up" on the girls, that's when they realize that the girls just won't go into heat.
Girls are pretty strong and I find for the most part can flip a big male and stop him in his tracks. :wink:

I have one speyed female living with 5 entire boys that all moved in together last weekend. The old boy has never cared one bit about the girl, The three next older boys gave up within a day of following her but the youngest boy now aged about 7 months old is still following her hopefully after 5 days of being together :roll: :giggle: . He is being nice though :)
On the whole I think they are sick of bouncing perky little girls interupting their sleeping, but she loves being with them :nod:

:)

Back