Pyometra - looking anemic

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnow

The dread of every girly-keeper has struck poor Stephi. The vet still has to confirm, but from the foul odor to the vaginal discharge to the abdominal mass to the ouchie stretches it looks like pyometra. She's on Baytril and Ibuprofen, and going in to the vet tomorrow.

Any advice on things I can try to tempt her to eat that are rich in iron? Anything I can do to bolster her strength for surgery? Any advice otherwise?

I've been giving her bits of egg, baby cereal, and Ensure, but it's hard to get her to eat much at all and her toes are still too pale. :gaah:

I'll have to make a run to get liver for her... gotta try everything I can to give her a better chance. My mind keeps going back to the "guarded prognosis" bit on the rat guide. I dunno what I'd do if she doesn't make it... :cry3:

Good luck little girly!

Now that I have dusted off my food processor you could grind up all sorts of good foods and put them in oatmeal like I have been doing...liver, spinach or kale, then yummy things like peas..its soft and easy to eat and it might tempt her a little.

I am sorry you are going through this. :(

She's not even tempted much by Ensure now, though I keep trying to tempt her with little bits of everything.

Exploratory surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Had to look up pyometra... I don't guess you need any more iron suggestions if she isn't eating Ensure even...
Hoping the very best for your Stephi tomorrow, that something can be found and done to fix whatever's going on and let her get all better.

She made it through surgery okay, and is now minus one very badly infected uterus, though there was a lot of scar tissue that my vet couldn't remove. Now it's all up to her and how well she can heal up from this.

Back