Puzzle is kickin' butt and taking names!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mumsy (bless her heart) put a little bit of Metacam and Doxy into the mail for me until I can get in with my vet. This morning I checked on him and the lump has actually shrunk (which sounds like rodentmama's guy Buzz). He seems to be in better spirits. I was concerned about the possibility of bleeding out so I was up every few hours talking to him and inspecting his face.

I agree that it could very well be a tumor that needs to be removed and I'm going to talk with my mom when she gets home. What do tumor removals usually run around cost-wise? I know it varies from vet to vet, but my exotic is closed on the weekend and I want to be able to give my mom a ballpark figure.

I have azithromyicin and amoxycillin at my disposal right now. Would it be worth dosing him with either to try and keep infections at bay?

I wouldn't give him anything for now... if it's a tumor, there's no need to waste meds on it. Also, keep in mind that metacam can cause more bleeding so don't use it too much.
A surgical removal of that sort would probably run me about $ 300. :(

While it is open, Metacam can be a bleeding issue. But I'll have to find the resource for some info I read a couple of days ago that Metacam has some anti-tumour qualities. I can't remember the mechanism, probably having to do with reducing inflammation or something. I'd agree with Jo, don't bother with the abx until you find out what it is. You can use a bit of topical antimicrobial like polysporin or calendula ointment to keep the surface clean.

I talked it over with Jo and then my mom.. I've come to a decision about what's going to be done for Puzzle.

On Monday I'm calling the local vet and making an appointment. I'm going to ask for a 1-2 week course of Clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate) because I read that it's good for tissue infections like abscesses. If there's no improvement it's safe to say that there's something more complicated going on, like a tumor or tooth abscess.

As soon as his quality of life deteriorates I'll take him to be humanely PTS. While he's still in good enough spirits to eat, drink, and play I'm going to let him live his life normally with his loving cagemates.

Thankyou everyone for all of your help, warm wishes, and kind words on behalf of his grandma, grandpa, myself, and his rat family.

july180926.jpg

Puzzle on top, his brother Osiris on the left, and their "uncle" Remmington on the right.

Pictures to be added tomorrow, I'm having uploading issues. :rant:

I noted during an earlier compress that the lump was partially disconnected from his face. I heard Puzzle scream - he had ripped the lump off while scratching. It was hanging in the way of his legs so I gently removed the rest. There was no blood. I peeked inside and noticed two more lumps deeper in the hole before I set him down and took a picture of the mass.

I turned around to find that he had removed the other 2 and blood was EVERYWHERE. My first fears are shock + death from bleeding out. I immediately had my mom mix up some saline solution while I held a towel to his neck and grabbed a plastic syringe. Using the solution to flush the blood away I was able to see that it was coming from a single, small hole deep inside the cavity that was likely feeding the two smaller lumps. My stepdad gave me some disolving blotting paper that helps clot blood. It helped ALOT and I stuck a piece of non-stick gauze into the wound. The bleeding came to an end.

Wether it was from the sudden loss of blood or fear he went into a very calm state and allowed me to do what I needed with very little fuss. We sat together on the couch for a good half hour with the gauze still on his neck, head resting in my hand while I stroked his back. I gave him some boiled peas from dinner and he ate with gusto. In the end he laid up against me, boggling and bruxxing.

The hole is now empty but the tissue doesn't look healthy -at all-. It appears yellow and it feels as though there is still a hard mass behind it.. :( He's spending the night in his carrier so that nobody tries to groom the sore. I'm going to flush it again before bed and apply some pet-safe ointment.

My stepdad was kind enough to wrap the lumps in a plastic baggie and put them in the freezer so that I can show the vet. I'm going to feel so much better after I get him on antibiotics.

Oh dear... what a sight for you.
I have heard of a rat once chewing off her own tumour... and it left her completely fine and tumour free.
Lets hope no damage has been done... keeping you both in my prayers.

All I can add is to give the poor guy some watery baby cereal or something like Ensure if you can. He's probably dehydrated from stress and blood loss and needs fluids.

At least that nasty lump is gone, so it's not all bad news.

Anyone want to lay a bet on this problem being tooth related?

The lump: http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/ ... 190918.jpg

Bad news concerning the vet. My exotic is on vacation until next Tuesday, the vet I was hopeful about doesn't have the antibiotic I need, and one I called on a limb flat out refuses to see a rat.

I'm sad to have to agree that it's looking more and more tooth related.. he still eats, drinks, and plays though. I'm making sure to keep him hydrated and pinch his skin regularly just to be safe. At this point it seems I'm doing all that I can do.. Keep the wound clean, keep his environment clean, apply anti-bacterial ointment, and love on him tons.

My poor little boy.. :cry3:

Back