Puppy Mill in Nova Scotia

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
This is horrible and our laws can't seem to stop it.
So called rat breeders keep rats in even worse conditions :sad3:

Please publicize this, contact news media etc.
NS is having an election soon, maybe we can help make a difference.

from kijiji Halifax
===============================================

Brady's Puppy Mill operating in VALLEY area

As many of you have already discovered, Nova Scotia is peppered with puppy mills. Some milling operations are small in size, and offer a few extra bucks to the owners for a couple litters a year, but at the expense of the animals.
The Joe and Faye Brady operation located at 375 Woodside Road, Canning is NOT a small operation but a large fully operational puppy mill. This operation consists of approx 75 dogs, caged in small cages resembling lobster traps and constructed by the materials used to build lobster traps. The cages disable dogs from being able to stand upright, or privacy from other dogs. Mr. Joe Brady refers to these dogs as Kennel dogs; I tend to refer to it as animal cruelty. Mr. Brady has no problem informing people that the dogs are strictly for breeding purposes, to produce high quality pets, But at the expense of a miserable life for the parents.

The cages are located inside an old pig barn (Mr. Brady is a retired hog farmer), and the smell is unbelievable. It made the members of our party nearly sick to our stomachs.

How do I know this? How can I justify posting this? Well I went there to see for myself, and the photos attached to this post prove just that. The photos appear blurred, as they were taken without drawing attention to the photographer.

How come these people stay in business you ask? Well they stay in business because people purchase from them, giving them the drive to continue to produce a large number of puppies.

What can be done? People need to make others aware of what is taking place, and not support them. Mr. Brady has recently started delivering puppies all over the Maritimes and generating sales in public places. Parking Lot Pups often are sold in parking lots for a reason, and his reason would be to cover up his disgusting Puppy Mill.

People need to write the Brady’s and ask them to halt their operation of puppy production. If puppy milling operations like this bother you, please direct your concerns in writing to the NS SPCA [email protected] Laws need to be changed, amended and created to stop such horrific acts to animals. During this election time, take the time to question your local candidate about what changes they would like to make to protect the animals in this great province.

Report it to the SPCA you say? It has been reported by numerous people, yet these morons stay in business. They have lied and said that they let the dogs outside of the cages and allow them to run around in their home 3 times a day, however anytime we have observed the area for extended periods of time (8hours) we have seen NO evidence of any animals being moved to or from the house, nor exercising outside.

Please see attached report (below) submitted to the NS SPCA in February.

Sunday, February-15-09
REMOVED
123 Wisteria Lane
Puppyville, NS
J7J 7J7

Nova Scotia SPCA - Cruelty Investigations
1600 Bedford Highway
Suite 422
Bedford, NS
B4A 1E8

Attention: NS SPCA
INVESTIGATIONS UNIT

Re: Canine production - Canning, NS.

On Saturday, February 14th 2009, @ approx 1315hrs - I and two others visited a location in Canning which was not acceptable practice in our opinions.
The establishment we visited was 375 Woodside Road, Canning Nova Scotia. This home is occupied by Faye and Joe Brady.

Upon arrival to the location mentioned, we proceeded to the rear of the home where we were met by an approx 70 year old male claiming to be Mr. Joe Brady. Mr. Brady informed us that we were approx 1 hour early, and normally what he does is retrieves the puppies from the barn prior to our arrival. One of the people whom I was with was interested in possibly purchasing a puppy, but still remains unsure of what breed.

Mr. Brady led us to a barn behind his house, where he began to explain that all the dogs would be barking and they would get quieter after we got inside. Upon entering the barn, I noticed a lot of hypodermic needles which were not capped, and contained approx 2 – 3 cc’s of liquid; these were obviously not kept in a sterile place. The smell upon entering was very overpowering. The smell was a combination of dog feces and what appeared to be pigs; however no pigs were noticed / observed at anytime during the visit.

Mr. Brady led us down a long line of dog cages, which we were unable to measure, but were defiantly not offering the dog the ability to stand on their back legs, nor have any space to run. When Mr. Brady was questioned on how often the dogs get out of the cages, he informed me that they do not in from October to May. The space provided was not acceptable for long term housing.

At the rear of the building there was a place where Mr. Brady was housing puppies and nursing mothers. The temperature was approx 72 degrees in the entire area where the puppies were being kept, and I felt it was acceptable. In the “ puppy area “ there were 3 medical devices, once again uncapped and containing a substances, only this time they were sitting on top of the wire cages, where they could easily be knocked into the cage and put the animals / puppies at risk. Their cages contained a large amount of poop and the room appeared to be lacking general maintenance compared to the adult cages.
The adult cages were constructed out of lobster trap wire. Some of the dogs appeared to be showing signs of stress due to the other dogs beside them. They were fighting through the wire, growling, showing teeth. They were also inches away from a ditch full of dog poop.

Every dog cage contained food, and an auto watering system often used with swine production.

Mr. Brady took a large stick a few times, and beat on top of the cages to get the dogs to quiet down; this was not acceptable behaviour in my opinion. He did this a few times to one dog which was missing an ear, and was raising a litter of pups. He informed us that the ear was bitten off by another dog in the cage “next door.”

Mr. Brady also invited us into his home where we met his wife, Faye Brady. She was a pleasant lady, who appeared to be a burden with the responsibilities of maintaining even more dogs in the house. Their home contained a number of cages, containing puppies and other dogs which Mr. Brady said “Were not acting like themselves,” which he thought were sick. He also showed us his new additions, as he is expanding his business into more breeds. He said they were “French Dogs” and said they came from Northern Quebec, but would not reveal the source when asked.

The puppies we spent most of our time with were “Sh*t-zu X Maltese” mixes, which appeared to be clean, unlike all the breeder dogs. We picked a little bit of sawdust out of their eyes, and small amounts of poop off their fur. One female appeared to have a “bubble” blowing out of it nose as it breathed. All eyes on all puppies handled had drippy eyes, and required some care, but minor. These puppies did not seem energetic, nor playful like most puppies are, with extremely soft stools. The puppies also did not attempt to eat any solid food offered, and appeared not weaned.

Mr. Brady explained to us his breeding program that he operates. He breeds his bitches at 6 -8 months old, 6 times then he retires them and places them for sale.

I strongly feel Mr. Brady is lacking education on the proper / humane way to raise and market dogs.

A large German Shepherd-ish dog was also present on the exterior of the barn, which Mr. Brady referred to as his “guard dog “. The dog was chained to an approx 6 foot chain, no dog food or water was present, but a dog house was provided.

Mr. Brady was aware that we had a camera, but what he was not aware we were photographing his “kennel “while he was occupied with other matters. He was aware I was taking photos of the puppies, but not of the entire “make-shift” setup. These photos have been attached for your records and review. You are authorized to use, reproduce these photos or warrant the negative images at any point which are stored on the digital chip.

If you would like to speak with anyone who witnessed this, please use the contact information provided below.

Contact information for the people who visited the location:

REMOVED (902) 000-0000
REMOVED (902) 000-0000
REMOVED (902) 000-0000

Regards,

REMOVED

See kijiji ad http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-pets-to-give ... Z126403563

The ad has been removed. I've lost faith in our justice system when it comes to animals and people - as long as people are hooked on pure-bred dogs with checking out respectable breeders first and buy from pet stores, puppy mills will remain in business. :rant:

I know this place. The woman had the balls to ask me if my Red Border Collie was a male because she wanted one to breed with her female. I asked her then and there what her practices were when it came to blood lines. As she had no idea where my dog came from, what she was like temperament or health wise. (My sweet girl Scarlet was purchased from a very reputable breeder in Harmony) The very first words out of her mouth were, and I quote, "I am NOT a puppy mill!". My response was a very sarcastic, "I never implied you were". Then I asked her how many dogs she had. 15 border collies were out back in "very large kennels" she stated. A border collie in a kennel? OMG broke my heart. She had five bitches pregnant at that time and three tea cup poodles also pregnant and close to birthing. I was, to put it bluntly, totally pissed off. I told her ALL my animals are spayed or neutered and they have a lovely 12 acre fenced in back yard. They get oodles of play time and also have social visits with a friend of mine who also has three Border Collies. All you see is five streaks of energy flying by when they have a play date. lol. Anyway to make a long story short, I have reported them and the authorities are "aware of the situation", I've been told.

Back