Pumpkin's eye is BAD (graphic photos)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. But I wonder if there is nothing to do now other than remove her. ANY advice, please?

017.jpg

020.jpg

022.jpg

Awww, the poor thing. Emergency surgery to remove it? Perhaps there is a tumor associated with it.
She'll be OK with one eye - she can't be seeing out of it now anyway.

I have eye drops and have literally drenched her eye with it and it is not helping. I also have eye ointment which is not helping either. I don't know whatelse to do?

I gave her a .15 cc dose of Metacam so I hope it helps she is in obvious pain. I hate that there is no er vet for rats in my area.

Lilangel, that is exactley what it looks like and how the symptoms began are identical. It is even the same eye as the poor guy in the pictures. His out come was not good so I wonder if Pumpkin even has a chance? She turned 2 on 10/31.

From what I have read it can be caused by an infected tooth or an infection in the body that manifests in the eye. Also from an injury to the eye.

From my research of Retrobulbar abscess it is just not looking good for Pumpkin and surgery may only prolong her suffering and in almost every case the abcess comes back and euthanasia is the only option. But we will see what the vet thinks in the morning.

My poor Pumpkin. :sad3:

Poor little pumpkin, anything to do with the eye is always so painful. Good thoughts for good news tomorrow.
Keep up posted. :heart:

I had a somewhat similar situation with my Rhys though I am not sure what caused his eye to get inflamed. He very young when it happen. I had it removed and it abcessed almost imediately after surgery, but then the abcess was taken care of and his eye has been fine since.

He may have had something different going on with his eye though, but I did want to share my somewhat postive story...
DSC00950-1.jpg

IMG_0602-1.jpg

This morning Pumpkin was up and ready for breakfast so the pain meds must be helping. I think I will demand surgery and if it doesn't work then I will have at least tried. Thanks for the pictures and positive story on your cute as could be pirate boy. :nod: It gives me some hope that it may be okay.

Back