Pumpkin Gasping. HELP!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

Last night at 5 I went to check on everyone before going to the mother-in-laws for dinner (which I did not go to) and Pumpkin was gasping (Pumpkin just had her infected eye removed) so I used the Primatene Mist Inhaler, still gasping. Then I nebulized her with amikacin and dex still gasping. So we laid on the counch till 9 the gasping would come and go but her breathing is still labored. I nebulized her again around midnight and put her back in her cage still gasping, thinking she might leave me during the night. NOPE she is still here and still gasping. Called the ER vet (which doesn't treat rats) but he told me that I was on the right track with nebulizing and to try to get some baytril and doxy in her (which she refuses to eat anything) as well as nebulizing her, I nebulized her this morning with amikacin, dex and baytril, steamed her in the shower (which seemed to help a little) and got the humidifier out of my bedroom and put it by their cage.

Is there anything else i can do other than wait and try to keep her comfortable? My vet opens at 8 in the morning so I will be on their doorstep but until then I am out of ideas. :sad3:

I figure it is better to attack it with as much as possible as quick as possible since it came on so quickly and agressivley(sp?) as it did. Pumpkin has never been a very lovey rat and when all she wanted was for me hold her, I knew it was serious and thought it must be the end. It is nice to have the cuddle time but not so much under these circumstances.

As jorats said, you are doing a lot.
Hope it helps enough until you can get her to your vet.

Lasix might help if she is having difficulty breathing because of fluid in her lungs.
A very very tiny piece of dark chocolate may help in the short term if you can get her to take it.

At least I know I am doing everything I can for now. She is still gasping and her tummy is full of air. I have tried to get her to take gas-x but she just lets it dribble out her mouth. I also put some water in her mouth becasue it was dry from the gasping and not drinking. I hope she makes it. I am going to have them put her in the oxygen tank first thing when I get to the vet to hopefully help her till we can figure out what is worng with her. Plus she needs to get the stitches out of her eye so they can do that once she stops gasping hopefully.

Thanks for the reassurance. :hugs:

Melissa's ZOO said:
At least I know I am doing everything I can for now. She is still gasping and her tummy is full of air. I have tried to get her to take gas-x but she just lets it dribble out her mouth. I also put some water in her mouth becasue it was dry from the gasping and not drinking. I hope she makes it. I am going to have them put her in the oxygen tank first thing when I get to the vet to hopefully help her till we can figure out what is worng with her. Plus she needs to get the stitches out of her eye so they can do that once she stops gasping hopefully.

Thanks for the reassurance. :hugs:
Oh, dear God. You've done so much, your rat has been through so much. I'm going through something with Mac right now, and I think I know. Reading your posts makes me weep. I will send you and your little one my prayers and positive thoughts while I'm doing so with our poor Mac. We all do what we can do. :(

Thank you everyone! But Pumpkin just could not hang on any more. I checked on her around 3 and she was in her cube with Dolly resting but still gasping so I decieded to let her be since she was in less stress than before. I went to check on her again a little before 4 and she was at the bottom of the cage gone, she had not been gone for long as she was still a little warm. I feel so awful, I wish I would have just gotten her out when I last checked on her and held her and been with her as she passed. But at least my baby is no longer suffering. I have never lost two rats so close to one another and it really hurts to go from 5 to 3 girls in the blink of an eye. :sad3: :sad3: :sad3:

I'm so sorry. It is a torment to watch a rat struggle like that. At least she is free of her suffering now.

Take care of yourself. :cuddle: It is a shock to lose two so close together.

I'm so sorry. I know how tough it is to watch your rat struggle like that. The same thing happened to Gus and Clooney before we had to put them down (within the same month). At least she had a loving home. RIP Pumpkin.

Back