Puffs plus lotion and now Vicks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunzwithRatz

Orange, So California (Rotterdam, NL Originally)
I was at the market and saw theses new Kleenex called Puffs plus with lotion and now they have Vicks in them. I love them I can sit all day and sniff these kleenex!
However Guinness is also wanting one of these for himself, but I am unsure if the vapors from the vicks will harm him in any way.
Anyone have any advise?
Thanks

Ohhh... those sound like something I should add to my bed days along with my other comforts of gingerale and minestrone soup!
Advice? I don't think the vapors would bother him but would'nt he try to eat them? My kids always want to chew on kleenex. Better safe than sorry, send his share to me, I'll pm my address :p

I wouldn't give him any as the harsh vapors of the Vicks may be too harsh for fragile rattie lungs :( you'd be better off saving those tissues for your self and offering him the cheap non-lotion paper kind :D

Vicks has camphor in it and it is very strong. It is not suggested to be used around kids, so I would think it would be a bad idea to have it around a rat.

LOL Fidget, I will be sure to tell Guinness that you said that, although I am sure he will put up quite the fight. He hasnt eaten and of them, he was taking them away from me and stashing them in a corner.
He was very upset to find them missing after I found where they were and removed the box. He will be PMing you to find out where to send them. I offered him some regular kleenex, but he turned up his nose at them lol
Thanks all

That reminds me. Debbie Ducommun's Health Care guide suggests trying Ferret-Rx for a rat in respiratory distress. It sounds like it has a similar effect to Vapo-Rub. I have never tried it on rats, because I didn't understand the rationale.

It contains Balsam, Camphor, Oil of Oreganum, and Oil of Rosemary. Have any of you ever tried this stuff?

If you name an oil, I can tell you the therapeutic effects. But, right now I'm out of town and don't have access to my material, but I know a bit.

Just about every essential oil is antiseptic and can help remove bacteria. The unfortunate thing is that these oils can sometimes be too strong for animals, children and pregnant women. That's why you have to ensure to dilute them heavily if ever using them when using them in these circumstances. With women in thier first trimester and children, you typically use a dilution of half if what it normally calls for.

People do use oils with rats, but I haven't been able to find numbers in terms of dilution. All I read is that you need to dilute it. Dilution for humans is 1-3% depending on the method of treatment and the oil you are using.

The olafactory system is very good at making essential oils go through the body, but that's also what can be harmful, especially to a rat since they are more sensitive.

They often do tests on rats but I've only found studies done with injecting them, not inhaling.

Debbie Ducommun's health care booklet says that the Ferret-Rx stimulates deeper breathing. But any rat I've seen in distress is already doing its utmost to breathe, so I don't see how the oils could help.

RunzwithRatz, it would be great if you could call Debbie and find out more.

If these aren't sold in the pharmacy section then you'd think they have very low levels of Vicks in them, just enough to be able to tout the new product and stir people's interest in buying it cause every company is trying to find something 'new' or ' improved'.

I can't see it being of any harm to a rattie, any more than giving them toilet paper or kleenex.
Vicks isn't harmful to any animal I ever heard of (and they test stuff on ratties cause we're very similar).
My mom sure smeared my chest with it (and a bit under my nose) when I was really young and sick as have mothers done for ages. It might sting to get it in your eyes or on mucous membranes but that's just another reason they wouldn't put much in kleenex.
Even eating it - I had a bf who had asthma and he'd freeze Vicks and eat it, tho I sure wouldn't recommend that.
Maybe the lotion would be more of a concern even?

You could always contact the Vicks corporation and ask them if it could pose any problems to your rattie. Might be the fastest way to get a good answer. (and also find out if they use ratties for testing at the same time :twisted: )
(If you can ascertain they are safe for Guinness I expect him to pm me a thankyou with a pic of him nested in Kleenex :D )

That's very interesting Melissa!! If you do find anything further, please let us know.

I'm thinking that since the ferret RX is safe for ferrets then it should be safe with rats?

Back