PT?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitneyb93

What would be some changes in behavior for a rat with PT? I'm curious for my albino because he has been acting strange lately :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The most obvious sign is when they can't grasp food in their paws or when one or more front paws are "clubbed" (fingers curled in). But usually the rat has been a little off for at least a week before that happens. Often they get less active and less curious, sometimes confused looking. Sometimes they lose interest in food or can't seem to coordinate their mouth to eat. Sometimes they have motor difficulties. There should be some good info on the Rat Health site (can't recall the site URL).

When one of my rats over 18 months looks not quite right, I watch carefully for PT. With younger ones the problem is much more likely to be something else.
Wish they could talk!

So you don't think it would be likely at all for a 6 month old to have one? I might just be freaking out from reading so many horror stories on here so you can tell me I'm over reacting. Hahaha

Oh, I didn't know your rat was so young. Inner ear infections are not uncommon in young rats. Do you have a rat- savvy vet?

I forgot to mention another common symptom of inner ear infection is circling: the rat walks only in one direction so goes around in circles. With a really bad ear infection the rat can even roll over. Vet would prescribe a strong anti inflammatory and antibiotic

Is he tipping his head or maybe looking a little off-balance? When my older rat developed an inner ear infection, the first thing I noticed was that she was a little unbalanced and she had her legs a little further apart to try to balance better. She was kind of slow and stayed in place as much as she could.

Well he just got a few cuts from his cage mate but beforehand he slowed down. Like not "spazzy" like he was before. Doesn't always accept treats from me, either. Which is out of the ordinary. And he's pretty clumsy but I'm not sure I would count that as being unbalanced? Especially seeing he's always been that way.
Maybe I'm just over reacting a bit, haha. He's albino so his vision might just be getting bad and he's acting weird because of it

Back