Protein

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattusNorvegicus

What percentage of protein should young rats be getting? I read on other forums members recommending the higher protein of the Harlan for babies, but I swear I've read Jo say the 14% is fine, and maybe better? Can someone, or Jorats explain why high protein is bad and the amount adults, babies and elders are supposed to be getting so I can correct that information out there?

My notes from the studies I've read so far:
- Protein is required for optimal growth, and amount needed depends on the protein's value. Value of protein for maintenance is not the same as the value of protein for growth. Less protein is needed with age.

* Protein recommendation for optimum growth in natural-ingredient diet: 18-25% crude protein

* Protein recommendation for maintenance in natural-ingredient diet: 7% crude protein

* Crude protein = total protein and nitrogen-containing compounds (such as amino acids and ammonia) present in the food.

Read here: http://nom-ology.blogspot.com/2010/12/n ... w-and.html

It would depend on which study you read.
The great china study shows that rats upon weaning require very little protein, under 10% which is why I've always said that the 14% HT or Oxbow is just fine. In fact, it is just fine because my family and I always fed all our babies no more than the Oxbow and HT, no higher than 14% with no supplementation.

Back