Problems with landlord.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco avenue

ok im verry stressed right now. i just ran into my landlord. after he came into my appartment(illigally) to check on my deficient oven ( some month or so ago). he found Maurice and her babies. anyway today. after a couple of weeks of him not mentionning anything he sees me with me friend and he tells me i cant have wild rats in my appartment its attracting the mice and i have to get rid of them. my frined throws a fit, i have to yell at her to stop. i know when i signed the lease there was a no animal clause and i asked if it was fine to have rodents birds fishes and whatnot and he answered the clause was only meant for cats and dogs. what can i do? i will contact la regie du logement first thing tomorow morning.

Tell him that for one they are not wild rats, lie and say they are always confined to a cage- and that also the scent of the rats does not attract mice because in the wild rats are predators of mice and their scents actually keep the mice away. Jerk should not have been snooping anyway.

I know in Ontario it is illegal for you to be evicted because you have pets. You might want to call the landlord tennant act and ask what the laws in Quebec are.

O.O i would sue my landlord if he entered the house without my knowledge and consent, and without someone being home. they are NOT allowed to do that. I had some trouble with my landlord and the rats back in August and i had to go to the citizen's advice bureau and they wrote a letter to my landlord. He wanted an extra £100 on top of my original £550 deposit because he "didnt know" i had animals - even though it was clearly written on our application form, and i'd made sure beforehand that he knew we had them. We were told the landlords daughter had entered our home and seen "the parrot hanging off the walls and the rat running free on the floor". She denied it, but we immediately changed the alarm code so she wouldnt know it, and made sure the alarm was set if we even went to the shop. Landlords do take the mick sometimes ><

Landlords being pet friendly is such a problem in New Brunswick, especially Fredericton. My building has just changed owners and landlords and now I'm terrified they will evict me because of my rats. My previous landlord had no problem but I'm unsure of these new people. When I first moved here I had a terrible time finding a building that would allow my rats. I think Ontario is the only pet-friendly province!

just as an aside, as i am sometimes full of useless information. siberian hamsters actually do exist. they even turn white during the winter or when exposed to prolonged periods of darkness. they are a dwarf species of hamsters and are reportedly the most friendly and tame of all the hamsters.

as for your landlord, perhaps some information on rats and logic will help win him over. though i still think you need to find out exactly what the laws are for the area in regards to pets and tentent rights as well. just in case his ignorance and prejudice can not be reasoned with.

interesting .....

"Siberian hamsters live in frigid Asia where it snows a lot. Their fur turns white in the winter so if they stay still they are often safe from predators. "

SQ said:
Most landlords will allow small cage pets like hamsters .... so "siberian hampsters" (ie rats) should be ok too.

when my friend had Rats, she used to write she had caged hamsters on her application forms, instead of writing Rats...just because people do dislike them so much

Have any of you seen the old Fawlty Towers episode where the cook buys what he was told is a Long-tailed Siberian Hamster? Of course, it is a Norway rat, and it escapes into the dining room when the inspector is having dinner.

How funny to know that there really are Siberian hamsters!

Well Siberian Hamster isn't their real name, just a name they are called .....
so I still think we can tell our landlords we have "Long-tailed Siberian Hamsters" courtesy of Fawlty Towers ..

Nope, I didn't make it up Linda, got it from godmother.

Linda said:
Landlords being pet friendly is such a problem in New Brunswick, especially Fredericton. My building has just changed owners and landlords and now I'm terrified they will evict me because of my rats. My previous landlord had no problem but I'm unsure of these new people. When I first moved here I had a terrible time finding a building that would allow my rats. I think Ontario is the only pet-friendly province!

I took a quick look at your Residential Tenantcies Act (which by the way is stupidly written and terribly outdated) and could see nothing in it that would give your new landlord the right to evict you because of your rats.

I'd be willing to bet that they would not be permitted to change the established agreements with existing tenants without just cause.

You really need to speak with a tenant's rights advocate.

I don't make a habit of playing nice with landlords who are a**h**s. Don't forget this guy entered your apartment illegally so right from the word go you have a very strong argument in your favour if you need to present an argument to a "rentalsman".

well i have talked with "la regie du logement" they sent me an email saying that any agreement taken at the begining of the lease should be respected. so. we didnt really make an agreement. but he still told me the animal clause was only valid for cats and dogs. so i am gonna brush it off as if nothing hapened and if he wants me to get rid of my wee ones or evict me ill go to court. and try to prove well..... that he told me something 3 months ago and that im the only one that remembers. worst case scenario, my lease ends in 5 months ill just find another place.

I really hope things work out! Landlords can be so unrealistic. I know I may step on a few tows by saying this, but I lived in apartments that were filled with noisy children and partying students, yet nothing was ever done. Yet, landlords groan about rats which don't party and make noise. :rant:

Linda said:
I really hope things work out! Landlords can be so unrealistic. I know I may step on a few tows by saying this, but I lived in apartments that were filled with noisy children and partying students, yet nothing was ever done. Yet, landlords groan about rats which don't party and make noise. :rant:

AMEN!!

me again. i met my landlord again in the halls, paid my months due a week in advance (like i always do) and we chatted and whatnot. i didnt mention the rats nor did he. so i guess its water under the bridge. ( at least for now) i will keep getting some info on my rights. my friend is not allowed to bring her rats over anymore ( wich isnt the end of the world really shes moving next door). and all is good that ends well.

I had a problem with my landlords a couple of months ago. When I originally moved in our landlord loved animals and knew about the rats and my cat. The house was sold two times and our current landlord HATES animals period. She made it clear to me that animals are not permitted in any other rental she has but that because we were here first we can keep the animals. We had to get our kitchen floor replaced and were not home during the day so gave permission for the landlord and the installers to come over. When I get home I find a rude note on the table stating my rats are really stinky and I better clean them up. I walk over to the cages, can't smell a thing, then I sniff around and realize that my cat used her litter box. She almost never uses it I keep it around just in case we both are really late from work and she is inside. My landlord had unfairly pinned it on the rats. The next time I talk to her she brings up the point they are stinky animals and she doesn't like them.

About two months later she comes over and asks us to sign a new rental agreement because she is raising our rent and cannot find the one we signed with the original owner. My boyfriend and I sign the updated agreement and she says she will get us a copy. The next day I find a copy in the mailbox that has extra information stapled onto the back that she didn't put on the one we signed that said 1 cat and 2 rats. Pretty sneaky way of trying to limit the amounts of rats I have. The next time she was over I had to drag her over to the cages and made her smell them. She admitted they didn't really smell that bad, I also pointed out I have 5 rats, and when I moved in I had 5 rats and that they are confined to cages (I lied a bit there). I hate peoples stereotypes of rats and how they unfairly assume things about them. If I had a cute and fluffy hamster I'm sure none of this would have come up. The landlord had previously expressed concern over my rats peeing on the floor, but my cat does more to the carpets between shedding, scratching and throwing up then my rats ever have.

I hope your landlord stops bugging you about them and just deals with it.

Back