Problem with Messy Cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptjack526

I'm having a problem keeping my girls' cage clean. Every morning I am finding that when they eat their blocks they leave a ridiculous amount of chewed up blocks...like a very fine powder. It's very frustrating cause the cage always looks so messy. Is this the norm? Do you guys have this problem too? If so, how do you deal with it? Also, whatever they don't eat, they stick in their litter box every night ugh!

I used to have that problem until I switched the the adult oxbow and since the pieces are basically bite sized they don't spend as much time munching on their "cookies" haha that is what I call their food because they always leave "cookie crumbs" especially with the blocks.What I did was went out and bought one of those little hand held brushes and dust pans and those are perfect for going in everyday and sweeping up the crumbs :) As far as them stashing their food in the litter box, that was another issue I also had with the blocks and then you have to spend 20 minutes picking through the pee and poop trying to decide which ones haven't been peed on and can be put back into the bowl. But I noticed now with the oxbow they don't stash it in there anymore and usually by the next day there are hardly ever any left overs and if there are they are stashed in hammocks :) I swear and I am not trying to sell you on oxbow haha that is just something that solved those problems for me well there are still some crumbs but much less.

Some people use a handheld vacuum in their cages when they do spot cleans. There's also 'resting pads' you could put near their food. They are a piece of fabric that you could easily remove and shake out but RatPack is right. Oxbow may take care of those problems.

I put all their food on one shelf and that's generally where they stay to eat it so I don't really care if it gets a little messy up there... And the only thing I find them storing in their food dish are special treats they get.... But I don't pay that any mind either...

Back