Private Message Inbox Full

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violet976

I wasn't sure where else to post this. Before the forum update, there was a setting that deleted your oldest messages to make room for new messages when your inbox was full. This was very helpful as I frequently refer back to messages from weeks or months ago.

Since the update, I've been notified that my inbox is full but I do not see any option to have it simply delete my oldest messages. Is there still a way to do that?

I wasn't sure where else to post this. Before the forum update, there was a setting that deleted your oldest messages to make room for new messages when your inbox was full. This was very helpful as I frequently refer back to messages from weeks or months ago.

Since the update, I've been notified that my inbox is full but I do not see any option to have it simply delete my oldest messages. Is there still a way to do that?

I think I can help with this one. I have used another forum with vbulletin before.

Go to your Inbox or your Sent box whichever you want to delete from (at the top, it says "jump to folder").

Then go to the last page (at bottom "Last"), and then you can delete selected messages by clicking on the box on the right of each msg date OR scroll to the top, there's a box above them all, with the number of messages on that page (OR ALL the messages if you want that (a much much larger # :p) if you click that it selects all the msgs on that page. Scroll back to the bottom and there's a drop down with options beside "Selected Messages:", pick Delete and then Go. Gone :) Its a LOT faster than me typing it out don't worry :)

Last edited:
In addition to what Shelagh mentioned, at the bottom of your list of messages in your inbox, sent items folder etc., is an area where you can filter your messages by date, sender, title and so on.

If you're interested in removing the oldest messages in your inbox, for example, just specify a start date and end date for the filter. When the filtered messages appear, you can select all of them by clicking the check box next to the message count at the top of the list.

Then, from the drop-down list at the bottom of the page, select 'delete' to erase the messages.

In addition to what Shelagh mentioned, at the bottom of your list of messages in your inbox, sent items folder etc., is an area where you can filter your messages by date, sender, title and so on.

If you're interested in removing the oldest messages in your inbox, for example, just specify a start date and end date for the filter. When the filtered messages appear, you can select all of them by clicking the check box next to the message count at the top of the list.

Then, from the drop-down list at the bottom of the page, select 'delete' to erase the messages.

I do soooo love you Kev! :thankyou:

:eek:fftopic:

I apologize for posting such an off topic message, but I have been trying to PM Violet976 a few times and it still doesn't work, so... :wink:

A few weeks back you told me you wanted to see my Puce's bumblefoot progress thread once it was up - here it is: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29030&highlight=bumblefooted. Comparison pictures are on page 2.

Now back to topic... :)

@ Unepuce: Sorry about that. With the new forum update my inbox was full and not accepting new messages. After a few people notified me I went in and cleaned it out a little. Thanks for grabbing my attention and I'll hop over to the other thread now. :)

lol. well over 1000. It's ok, really. I was just used to the function of having it delete the oldest to make room for the newest. It does have a nice bar right at the top that shows when the box is nearing capacity, and I can simply delete a few batches of the oldest when I see that.

Question on the signature though. Mine still appears to show just the jpeg link. What am I doing wrong that the photo doesn't show?

Question on the signature though. Mine still appears to show just the jpeg link. What am I doing wrong that the photo doesn't show?

I don't see any reason why your signature shouldn't be displaying properly. Try redoing it (i.e. cut and paste) and see if that helps.

The changeover to the new forum software has resulted in slightly different signature specifications. My signature, for instance, suddenly became shorter. I'm not sure if these changes are impacting your signature in any way, but if you continue to have problems, we'll look into it. :)

It looks like I have a limit of 1000, and I'm assuming I deleted a couple hundred the other day to make room. It's not really a big deal, since even with a higher limit I'll eventually hit it and still have to delete some. I don't honestly mind deleting them, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't still the old option available and I had somehow overlooked it. :)

Back