Preparing for flight

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shade

I had asked before about moving to california and if my rats would be ok in a carrier for the long drive, but we just found out that to drive from florida to California we may need around $2000 Sooooo We've decided to take a plane where it will only cost us $267. I have 2 cat carriers for my rats and will bring them as carry on but how will they react to the high altitude? is there anything I should do to keep them comfortable and relaxed? or will they be ok with it and not really notice? I'm asking because I remember people saying that they preferred not to ship their rats because it stresses them out.

I'm pretty sure it's NWA, Midwest, and Delta that have the most pet friendly policies:

http://www.tripswithpets.com/petpolicies.asp

a LOT of airlines (most) will not allow ANY pets in the cabin, some not at all, and most will not allow anything like rats (they stick to cats and dogs).

Of the ones who do allow animals as carry on, the limit is usually 1 animal, sometimes 2, but I don't think any will take 3. You may be able to do some persuading to let 3 rats stay in a carrier, but you would be hard pressed to get more than that. Also keep in mind that with the stigma against rats, and that airline personnel can still turn your animals away at check in, you will have extra difficulty even getting them onto the plane.

You can call in, but don't specifically ask about rats - people will tell you that they are not allowed, except in the airline policies online, they don't specify rats - people just guess because they don't know their own policies, making up answers as they go. Many small pets are allowed, however most airlines wont take them as carry on, and people are just personally afraid or grossed out by rats. If you call the airline, say 'small pet' or 'small rodent' and specify that it is impossible for them to get out of the crate permitted for the particular airline.

I just called delta and they said they couldn't be completely sure if I could bring them on or not because I'd have 3 boys in one carrier and 5 girls in another and that the decision would be up to the people that check you in so now I have to call them and speak to someone at the airport itself to see what would happen. If all else fails I'd have to send them as cargo but idk how they'd do in there.

I just called the airport who said to call delta supervisor and he said that delta only allows cats dogs and household birds as carry on so the rats would have to go as cargo.

yeah and we tried the option of taking a train but the train wont allow any animals aside from service dogs Soooo we're back to the driving plan. We wont need as much money as we thought, maybe only $500. My boyfriends dad made that trip with 500 back when gas was 4.50 a gallon so we should be ok.

Back